Construction impacts access to new Carolina Square site

Kelly Stasko, the Granville Towers general manager, said once the fencing is built, access to Granville will be limited to the entry point closest to Columbia Street by University Baptist Church.

To preserve access, Stasko said a new entrance will be constructed on Cameron Avenue around the end of May. The new entrance point will be behind Granville’s South Tower, and the development of the entrance will take place throughout the summer.

“The primary impact that we foresee in these beginning stages is getting students, particularly those living in East and West Towers, used to slightly different walking patterns around the property,” Stasko said.

Gordon Merklein, executive director of real estate for UNC, said once the new access point is made on Cameron Avenue, no pedestrian or vehicular traffic will be allowed through the Franklin Street entrances for safety reasons.

“It will be inconvenient, especially now that it is at exam time,” said Abby Pressley, a freshman Granville resident, of the fenced-in construction zone.

She said residents got an email saying that fences would be going up around the construction, but she would like more information.

“It was considerate to email us, but it would be nice to know a little bit more about what the actual project is since it is right outside my window.”

Stasko said Granville Towers has been transparent about the construction and will continue to update students as they receive more information.

“We expect that the impact to Granville residents and neighbors will be the same as it’s been on and around campus during other various construction projects, including those that have happened close to other residen(ce) halls,” Stasko said.

“Except for the pool and basketball court going away, the amenities and services we offer to make this a great community for students won’t change.”

The first step of the construction process, Merklein said, is to clear the building of asbestos, which will begin either this week or next.

“Once abatement (of asbestos) is completed, then demolition of the structures will begin,” he said. “We are estimating five months to complete the abatement and demolition.”

Jeff Furman — vice president of development for Northwood Ravin, one of the project’s developers — said UNC is in charge of the demolition and abatement process. Once the demolition is completed, construction will begin.

Furman said the project is supposed to be finished in spring 2017.