Isaiah Hicks turns rumors into reality at Late Night with Roy

Late Night with Roy kicked off the 2015-16 men's basketball season with dances, skits, songs, and the traditional blue and white scrimmage.

After a subpar first season on campus, North Carolina forward Isaiah Hicks settled into a secondary role in his sophomore campaign, leading all bench scorers with an average of 6.6 points in 14.8 minutes per game in 2014.

But after a sensational performance in summer pickup, Hicks’ coaches and teammates lavished praise onto the former five-star recruit during the preseason.

On Friday, the hype finally hit the hardwood.

Donning a new jersey and a renewed sense of confidence, the junior showed a glimpse of his offseason maturation during UNC’s Late Night with Roy scrimmage, unofficially leading all scorers with 14 points in Team White’s 41-32 win.

“He’s worked his tail off in the offseason,” Coach Roy Williams said. “We need him to score; we need him to take the ball to the basket and be a lot more aggressive than he’s been in the past.”

In his debut display, the junior channeled the aggression early on.

Minutes into the scrimmage, Hicks hustled to the hoop on an out-of-bounds scramble and slammed one home for his first bucket of the contest — one of his six made shots on the night, leading the charge for his victorious squad.

Even his misses ended in fanfare.

After converting down low a few possessions prior, Hicks tossed up another shot inside to no avail — only to watch senior Brice Johnson tip it in for his opponent.

Moments later, Hicks once again attacked the lane and attempted a ferocious jam. The dunk was unsuccessful — but the forward proudly hung on the rim as the crowd cooed at its star performer.

“Isaiah is Isaiah,” said sophomore Joel Berry, shaking his head. “I mean, he’s athletic; he’s a strong guy. We need that down low.”

But Hicks’ heroics extended well beyond the paint.

The junior unveiled every aspect of his new arsenal, swatting entry passes and attacking the glass on both ends of the court. Late in the game — with the outcome still in doubt — Hicks ripped the ball from junior Kennedy Meeks and charged coast to coast before getting fouled at the hoop.

Not surprisingly, Hicks — who was unavailable to the media — sunk the shot from the charity stripe.

“You see a relentless rebounder, a very strong guy (who) has a high motor,” senior Joel James said.

“He can do a lot of different things. He can bring the ball up; he can pass; he can shoot. I see a guy who’s hungry to prove to everyone what he can do.”

In order to showcase his skills this season, Hicks will need to navigate a loaded frontcourt featuring James, Johnson and Meeks — all of whom figure to loom large in the rotation.

And while Williams is mum on Hicks’ potential playing time, the junior’s rave reviews from his teammates could be indicative of his role this season.

“I’m pretty sure Isaiah’s going to find his way on the court,” Berry said. “We’re going to need him.”

@CJacksonCowart