Buzzer-beater lifts Texas over No. 3 UNC men's basketball

On Saturday night the North Carolina men's basketball team faced just its second true road test in Texas. And at the end of the night, a thrilling finish and a buzzer-beater sank the Tar Heels, as as the Longhorns claimed a 84-82 victory.

UNC jumped out to a 7-0 lead to start the contest, but eventually allowed the Longhorns to cut the deficit to 9-7. The game would stay within a tight margin throughout the period, as both North Carolina and Texas were able to knock down shots, especially from beyond the arc. 

The Tar Heels shot 4-of-8 from three point range, while the Longhorns converted on 7-of-14 attempts. Joel Berry led the way from distance for UNC, tallying two 3-pointers in only three attempts.

For Texas, senior guard Javan Felix poured in three 3-pointers of his own on his way to an 11 point half.

In the first eight minutes of the game, senior forward Brice Johnson picked up two quick fouls that sent him to the bench. When he returned a few minutes later, he was in the game for less than a minute before he picked up his third. 

With Johnson pushed to the bench, Texas was able to gain a decisive edge on the glass, especially on the offensive end. 

In the game's first 20 minutes, the Longhorns held a 9-2 advantage on the offensive glass, which led to 11 second chance points. 

The Tar Heels were able to build an eight point lead in the waning minutes of the first, but allowed Texas to climb back in it. At the break, North Carolina led 44-42. 

The second half began much like the first one ended, as both teams traded baskets but neither were able to push their lead past a few points. 

After sitting out for the majority of the first half, Johnson picked up the first four points for UNC in the latter period. 

As the second half wore on, UNC maintained a lead, but were never able to push it above five points. With 6:26 left in the game, Texas' Isaiah Taylor gave the Longhorns their first lead of the period, and setting up a finish that would break the hearts of UNC's players and fans. 

After the two sides' traded the lead back-and-forth for several minutes, Taylor drove toward the paint and put up a floater. The ball bounced off of the rim, but Taylor followed his shot and put the ball in the basket to tie the game at 82 with 27 seconds left.

Then, a short time later, Texas came down the floor with a chance to end it. Taylor put up a corner 3-pointer but missed badly, but the ball found the hands of Javan Felix, who squared up and knocked down the shot at the buzzer. 

The game-winning shot gave North Carolina just its second loss on the season, both of which came on the road. The Tar Heels dropped their first road game to Northern Iowa 71-67 on Nov. 21. 

Quotable

"Five guys box out five guys on the other team. That's the bottom line. Five guys are supposed to box out five guys." — North Carolina coach Roy Williams on his team's rebounding woes.

Notable

In the second half, Marcus Paige hit a 3-pointer to give UNC a 69-67 lead. It was Paige's 234th career 3-pointer, good enough to pass Shammond Williams for first all-time in North Carolina history. Paige finished the night 3-of-6 from beyond the arc. 

Three numbers that matter

16: Texas grabbed 16 offensive rebounds on the night, and were able to tally 21 second chance points, including the game winner by Felix. 

2: After putting up 13 points in the first half, Justin Jackson added just two in the second period. Both of the points came off of free throws, and Jackson only attempted two field goals in the half.

50: Texas went 12-of-24 (50 percent) from 3-point distance during Saturday's game. Coming into the contest, the Longhorns were only shooting 36.5 percent on the year.

What's next?

North Carolina returns home to take on Tulane on Wednesday, Dec. 16 at 7 p.m.

@jbo_vernon