UNC men's basketball rolls past Appalachian State

After missing 11 of its first 12 shots in Saturday's game against UCLA, No. 7 North Carolina missed its first shot on Monday night against Appalachian State. The Mountaineers promptly sank a 3-pointer on their ensuing possession. 

That was the only hope the soon-to-be 2-9 Mountaineers had Wednesday night. UNC scored 15 points in the next four minutes, 10 from senior Brice Johnson and five from sophomore Joel Berry. The Tar Heels would go on to win 94-70, showcasing what a matchup between one of the country's best offenses and worst defenses should look like. 

Johnson entered the game on a torrential scoring pace. He had set new career highs in consecutive games against Tulane and UCLA with 25 and 27 points, respectively. While that streak was broken — Johnson finished with 22 points — he did set another record with 16 consecutive made field goals and added nine rebounds. 

Berry also continued his brilliant play. He had 11 assists to go with 11 points, giving him 24 assists the past three games. Isaiah Hicks continued his contributions off the bench while helping replace junior Kennedy Meeks — who missed his third straight game because of a bone bruise on his left knee — scoring 12 points and collecting six rebounds. 

With the game in hand early in the second half, everyone on the Tar Heels' roster saw the floor. That resulted in season-highs for players like first-year forward Luke Maye, who finished with seven points and five rebounds in 12 minutes. 

UNC (10-2) overcame some early offense from the Mountaineers — who shot 44.3 percent from the floor in the first half — to notch its sixth win of the season at the Smith Center and enter Christmas break on a high note. 

Quotable

"Glad to have a W, glad to do some good things so that everyone goes home to see Santa Claus in a good mood." — Coach Roy Williams after the win. 

Notable

After going up to block a shot in the first half, Marcus Paige landed awkwardly and later said he jammed his right ankle, the one he had arthroscopic surgery on in April. He left for the locker room, but then returned and scored nine points. He became the 12th Tar Heel to record 500 career assists as well as the 12th player in ACC history with at least 1,500 points, 500 assists, 150 steals and 200 3-pointers. But during halftime, his ankle tightened up again. He left the game early in the second half and did not return. 

Paige doesn't believe the injury is serious and said he could have played had the circumstances been different. With the next Tar Heels' practice not until Dec. 26, he has a few days to recuperate.

Three numbers that matter

16: Consecutive field goals made by Johnson, which ties a UNC record. The streak was broken when he missed a face-up jumper early in the first half. 

10: The number of rebounds for Justin Jackson, who led the team in that category. Jackson and Theo Pinson were both challenged by Williams to provide more rebounding production after being outrebounded by Paige, Berry and Nate Britt — three of the shortest players on the team — against UCLA. 

74: Johnson has scored 74 total points in the past three games. 

What's next?

The Tar Heels host UNC-Greensboro at 6 p.m. on Dec. 28 at the Smith Center. 

@loganulrich

sports@dailyarheel.com