30 years of hoops at the Smith Center

1. On March 6, 2005, the North Carolina men’s basketball team overcame a nine-point deficit with three minutes left to beat Duke 75-73. Marvin Williams cemented the comeback by converting a 3-point play off a missed free throw with less than 20 seconds left. 

2. With his team up by 12 with 17.5 seconds left against Duke, Tyler Hansborough received an elbow to the face from the Blue Devils’ Gerald Henderson. The ordeal left Hansborough’s face bloodied and enticed a wave of boos from the crowd.

3. In 2000, an abundance of snow led to a mostly student-filled Smith Center in a win against Maryland. In 2014, snow delayed the Duke home game eight days and raised tensions. UNC went on to claim a 74-66 victory over No. 5 Duke. 

4. On Jan. 18, 1986, No. 1 UNC played its first game in the Smith Center against No. 3 Duke. The game lived up to the hype, as Steve Hale tallied 28 points, and Brad Daugherty picked up a double-double in a 95-92 Tar Heels’ win.

5. During its 1993 championship season, UNC trailed Florida State by 21 with nine minutes left during a January home game. After cutting the deficit to one, a George Lynch steal and dunk with 1:39 left gave UNC the lead for good.