Brice Johnson scores 27 as UNC men's basketball beats Wake Forest 83-68

The race to the top continues.

After No. 1 Oklahoma's loss Monday night, the North Carolina men’s basketball team entered the Smith Center on Wednesday night in prime position to ascend atop the polls.

A wire-to-wire win over Wake Forest was a good start.

The No. 2 Tar Heels (17-2, 6-0 ACC) extended their best conference start under Coach Roy Williams, dismantling the mismatched Demon Deacons (10-8, 1-5 ACC) in an 83-68 blowout for UNC’s 10th consecutive victory.

Senior Brice Johnson led both teams with 27 points and 11 rebounds, strengthening his candidacy as one of the nation’s most outstanding players this season.

Despite playing just 24 minutes, Johnson scored three times as many points as any other Tar Heel. And although his team collectively shot 38.4 percent from the floor, the forward finished 8-for-12 from the field and 11-for-12 from the free-throw line.

Johnson asserted himself early, forcing a midcourt turnover four minutes into the game and striding into the lane for an easy layup. When Wake Forest pulled within seven points with 4:41 left in the first half, the senior buried a shot and recorded one of his two blocks on the other end to spark a 12-0 UNC run.

In addition to seven blocks, UNC secured 15 steals — including three by Johnson — and converted 19 Wake Forest turnovers into 21 points.

North Carolina entered the contest ranked second in the country in scoring, tallying 86.4 points per game. While Johnson was UNC’s only double-digit scorer, the Tar Heels topped 80 points for the 16th time in 19 games.

Quotable

“We want to be the No. 1 team. … We have all the pieces that we need, we just have to play to our potential and not take it easy on anyone. I think once we get to that point and we start buckling down on the defensive end, I think that’ll just take us to being a greater team.” — sophomore Joel Berry on UNC’s potential as the best team in the nation. 

Notable

Senior Marcus Paige — the ACC Preseason Co-Player of the Year — shot 1-for-8 from the floor to finish with two points. After converting one field goal in each of his previous two contests, the guard has now scored eight total points in his past three games.

Three numbers that matter

4: Johnson’s 27-point performance marked his fourth game this season with 25 or more points. The rest of the team has combined for three such games.

15: The Tar Heels hadn’t started 6-0 in ACC play in 15 seasons, when they won their first 11 conference contests. UNC’s win over Wake Forest was its sixth ACC victory is as many games.

58: UNC has gone 58 days since conceding the No. 1 ranking, a spot it held to start the season. Four teams — Kentucky, Michigan State, Kansas and Oklahoma – have traded the top spot since Nov. 23, when North Carolina dropped to No. 9 after a 71-67 loss at Northern Iowa.

What’s next?

The Tar Heels will travel to Blacksburg, Va., to take on Virginia Tech at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday. The game will be televised on ESPNU.

@CJacksonCowart