North Carolina depth apparent in 67-55 win over NC State

Kennedy Meeks led all scorers with 23 points in his first game back as a starter since December 12

Guard Joel Berry II (2) drives toward the basket during the game against N.C. State in the Smith Center on Saturday, Jan. 16. 2016. UNC beat N.C. State 67-55. 

For the second straight game, Marcus Paige was held to just three points. And for the second straight game, that didn't really matter for the No. 5 North Carolina men's basketball team. 

Kennedy Meeks led the Tar Heels (16-2, 5-0 ACC) with 23 points in his first game back as a starter since Dec. 12 against Texas, and Joel Berry and Nate Britt combined to help limit N.C. State (10-8, 0-5 ACC) point guard and ACC leading scorer Cat Barber to a season-low nine points and five turnovers. 

The first matchup against the Wolfpack showcased just how deep this UNC team is, as three Tar Heel starters (Paige, Justin Jackson and Brice Johnson) combined for just 15 points, yet the team still managed a 67-55 victory. 

Paige has shot just 2-for-17 in his past two games, including 1-for-12 from behind the 3-point line. 

"Somebody jinxed me at the press conference (Friday), talking about if I was in a funk or not because of the way I played at Syracuse, so they jinxed me," Paige laughed. "So I'd like to thank them for that ... But I'll be fine.

"I'm not missing left and right, I'm missing short and long, so I'll figure it out. This week, leading up to the game in workouts and stuff, I shot better than I have all year."

But when Paige's shots aren't falling, Saturday's win showed UNC has players who are more than capable of picking up the slack, a contrast to years past. 

Berry in particular shot the ball well from the perimeter, making 5-of-9 shots and 3-of-5 from beyond the arc.

"We got guys — Joel Berry is so much better, Isaiah (Hicks) is so much better," Paige said. "Our offense just flows better, to the point where if I'm struggling I'm going to stay aggressive, but it's not going to hurt the team if I'm not scoring at a high clip."

Quotable

"You've got some guys that can't throw it in the ocean from the beach, and you still are able to squeeze out a win. I do think that I always try to recruit for and coach with as much depth as I can try to build." — Coach Roy Williams on the number of quality players the Tar Heels have coming off the bench.

Notable

Williams improved to 29-3 against N.C. State with Saturday's win, which includes a 24-3 record with UNC.

Three numbers that matter:

30: The number of minutes Meeks played Saturday. After missing seven games with a left knee bruise, Meeks had the third-highest number of minutes against the Wolfpack behind just Berry and Paige. That workload, combined with his production should alleviate any concerns UNC fans might have had about his health. At the end of the game, Meeks limped off the court, but the forward said he just banged his right knee and is fine. 

17: The number of points the Tar Heels managed off turnovers. While UNC's defense has been questionable at times this season, the Tar Heels have shown their ability to create chaos on the defensive end and then take advantage when they do. N.C. State turned the ball over 18 times, while UNC did so nine times. 

37: The number of rebounds the Wolfpack managed. While the Tar Heels did end up winning the rebound battle (38-37), their struggles in the first half came largely because of allowing N.C. State to crash the offensive glass. N.C. State managed eight offensive boards in the first half, which led to 10 second-chance points. The Wolfpack finished with 23 points on second chances. Williams emphasized the need to do a better job rebounding in his postgame presser. 

What's next?

The Tar Heels look to improve to 6-0 in the ACC on Wednesday when Wake Forest comes to Chapel Hill for a 7 p.m. tip-off. 

@CarlosACollazo