UNC men's basketball seeks revenge against NC State

Guard Marcus Paige (5) lays the ball in during UNC's 98-65 route of Davidson.

About a year ago, the North Carolina men’s basketball team scored the fewest points — 46 — of any UNC team ever in the Smith Center. Its opponent that day? N.C. State.

Now, with the Wolfpack (10-7, 0-4 ACC) set to visit Chapel Hill on Saturday, the question remains of whether the fifth-ranked Tar Heels (15-2, 4-0 ACC) will be able to redeem themselves after a loss a season ago. 

For Coach Roy Williams, motivating his team ahead of Saturday’s game hasn’t been an issue.

“I don’t have to say anything,” Williams said. “I said, ‘You guys remember?’ They said, ‘Yes.’ So I leave it alone.

“If we can’t get enthused to play North Carolina State, I’ve got the wrong group of guys.”

Here are some things to look for in Saturday’s game, which tips off at noon on ESPN.

1. How will UNC defend Cat Barber?

The junior guard for N.C. State is currently the ACC’s leading scorer with over 22 points per game. While Barber’s 3-point percentage has dropped compared to the 2014-15 season, his quickness and ability to facilitate makes him the Wolfpack’s most dangerous weapon. Limiting his effectiveness will be key to slowing N.C. State’s offense.

2. Can Brice Johnson keep carrying the scoring load?

Johnson went for 39 points and 23 rebounds two games ago against Florida State and another 16 points against Syracuse on Saturday. The senior forward is UNC’s leading scorer this season with 16.7 points per game, and he has started every game this season. 

The Tar Heels’ offensive strength this season has been their inside scoring, and if UNC hopes to avoid another upset against the Wolfpack, it will need him to keep scoring in the paint.

3. Meeks or no Meeks?

After UNC’s loss to Texas on Dec. 12, Kennedy Meeks missed the next seven games with a bone bruise on his left knee. The junior finally returned against Syracuse, scoring eight points in just 14 minutes. 

Williams said if Meeks practiced well on Friday, he had a chance to start against N.C. State. Against BeeJay Anya and Abdul Malik-Abu, the Tar Heels could use Meeks’ presence down low.

4. Will Marcus Paige find his shooting stroke?

Paige scored just three points in UNC’s previous game against Syracuse, his lowest total since his first-year season. The senior guard said during Friday's press conference that the game was an anomaly, and he looks to get back on track against a team he has historically dominated.

5. Can N.C. State steal its first conference win of the season?

While the Wolfpack have yet to defeat an ACC foe this season, rivalry games on Tobacco Road are always up in the air. If N.C. State can secure its first ACC win in the 2015-16 season, not only would it be UNC’s first conference loss, but it could potentially turn the Wolfpack’s season around.

@BrendanRMarks