Louisville deals UNC men's basketball its first ACC loss

The Cardinals upset the Tar Heels to halt UNC's best start to conference play under Coach Roy Williams.

Justin Jackson (44) drives past Louisville defenders during Monday night's loss.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Kennedy Meeks was frustrated. He threw his head back in frustration, squinting his eyes and pursing his lips to one side.

The North Carolina men’s basketball team was already down six points, and Meeks had just picked up his fourth foul with over five minutes left. A Louisville defender — his man — leaped in the air for an alley-oop. Meeks fouled him. The ball dropped through the hoop anyway.

It was one of those looks — an "I can’t believe that just happened" look. One of those looks, one of those plays. Really, it was just one of those games for UNC, which ultimately lost 71-65 on Monday at the KFC Yum! Center. 

“If I could I would just blame it all on me,” Meeks said. “The effort just wasn’t there from me.

“I’m not doing what I have to do to help this team right now.”

The loss wasn’t Meeks’ fault alone, not by any stretch. UNC (19-3, 8-1 ACC) shot just 34.5 percent from the field. Marcus Paige and Joel Berry, the Tar Heels’ starting guards, made a combined four shots on 23 attempts.

There was a stiff Louisville (18-4, 7-2 ACC) zone defense, there were touchy fouls and a whole mess of other things to blame for UNC’s performance.

But there was Meeks, clutching the basketball as a sea of red shirts erupted all around him. He wiped the beads of sweat from the creases of his forehead and shuffled to the bench.

His head was bent over the entire way.

Quotable

“He’s one of the greatest kids I’ve ever coached, I’m going to stick with him, I’m going to coach him, he’s going to try to take shots.” — Coach Roy Williams on Paige’s continued struggles shooting the ball.

Notable

The loss is UNC’s first in conference play, and despite Monday's result, the Tar Heels are still atop the ACC leaderboard. UNC had never started as well under Williams as it had this season, when the team won its first eight conference games.

Three numbers that matter

27: Fewest points UNC has scored in a half this season. Before halftime, the Tar Heels only made seven baskets, including just one from behind the arc. Paige missed all five of his attempts, and Berry only made one of his four.

24: Points scored by Louisville’s Damion Lee. The Cardinals’ leading scorer coming into Monday's contest, Lee had his way against UNC, scoring both inside and outside. His dribble penetration was a problem for the Tar Heels all day.

36: Louisville's points in the paint. UNC’s typically dominant inside trio — Meeks, Isaiah Hicks and Brice Johnson — struggled with foul trouble, giving Louisville almost free rein close to the basket. On offense, the Cardinals’ zone defense made entry passes difficult for the Tar Heels, negating one of the team’s biggest strengths.

What’s next?

The Tar Heels get the rest of the week off before traveling to Notre Dame on Saturday. The game will air on ESPN at 7:00 p.m.

@BrendanRMarks