Stars of the 2016 Final Four

Guard Marcus Paige (5) defends against a Syracuse shot. 

NORTH CAROLINA

Roy Williams is headed to his eighth Final Four with possibly his favorite team he has ever coached. Just one season after the death of former UNC coach Dean Smith, Williams could best his mentor with his third national title.

Marcus Paige is the unquestioned leader of this Tar Heels team, even with his offensive woes. The senior battled through the toughest shooting season of his career, but the point guard has rediscovered his stroke in the postseason to guide UNC to its first Final Four since 2009.

Brice Johnson is finally reaching the heights coaches and fans have waited for. The North Carolina senior forward has blossomed into an unstoppable force in his final year in Chapel Hill, earning recognition as a first-team All-American and Wooden Award finalist with his dominant display this season.

SYRACUSE

Jim Boeheim watched his team’s first nine conference games from home after an NCAA suspension. But one season removed from a postseason ban, Boeheim could win his second national championship in 40 seasons.

Michael Gbinije has been a steady source of production for Syracuse this season, scoring in double figures in every contest and leading the team in assists per game. After transferring from Duke in 2012, the fifth-year guard has stabilized his squad through its unlikely tournament run.

Malachi Richardson was virtually unguardable in the Orange’s comeback win over Virginia, scoring 21 second-half points to secure his spot in Syracuse lore. The eccentric first-year has started every game this season, but the guard is showcasing his full potential in this tournament.

VILLANOVA

Jay Wright has faced heavy criticism for his tournament resume, failing to reach the Sweet 16 in six straight seasons. But the four-time Big East Coach of the Year is back in the Final Four for the first time since 2009.

Ryan Arcidiacono is cementing his legendary status on campus with every diving effort for a loose ball. A four-year starter, the guard has been paramount to reviving the Wildcats’ program, earning praise from coaches and players as one of the best players in Villanova history.

Kris Jenkins is the de facto star on a starless team. Named the South Region’s Most Outstanding Player, the junior forward has made the most of his breakout campaign, leading Villanova into the Final Four and out of the shadow of doubt that has plagued the Wildcats in recent years.

OKLAHOMA

Lon Kruger has taken five different schools to the tournament and four to the Sweet 16. In his fifth season with the Sooners, Kruger hopes his second trip to the Final Four will net his first title in 30 years of coaching.

Buddy Hield became a household name in his resurgent senior season, scoring 25.4 points per game as a Wooden Award finalist. The unanimous first-team All-American guard has torched opponents from beyond the arc, carrying the Sooners to their fifth Final Four in program history.

Jordan Woodard receives much less fanfare than his All-American teammate, but the junior has been a steady contributor for Oklahoma this season. After starting every game of his career, the heady point guard has proven to be an effective complement in this postseason run.