ACC clash in the Final Four: Who's got the edge?

Guard Marcus Paige (5) drives along the baseline to the basket in a game against Syracuse in February 2015. 

It’s an all-ACC affair in this Final Four matchup, as No. 1 seed North Carolina faces off for the third time this season against 10th-seeded Syracuse — the first No. 10 seed to ever reach the Final Four.

The Tar Heels (32-6, 14-4 ACC) are looking to justify their preseason No. 1 ranking, but the upstart Orange (23-13, 9-9 ACC) is hoping the third time is the charm.

While UNC claimed both of the previous contests between these two teams, Syracuse held its own in each affair.

On Jan. 9, the Orange clung to a one-point lead with 6:46 remaining. But forwards Brice Johnson and Isaiah Hicks exploited Syracuse’s 2-3 zone to escape the Carrier Dome with an 84-73 win.

Two months later, the Orange traveled to the Smith Center with hopes of crashing UNC’s senior night. But trailing by three in the final seconds, Syracuse guard Michael Gbinije missed a layup and sophomore Joel Berry sunk two free throws to secure the season sweep for North Carolina with a 75-70 win.

Here is how the Tar Heels and the Orange match up for their Final Four showdown at 8:49 p.m. on Saturday.

POINT GUARD: Joel Berry v. Michael Gbinije

Ask Coach Roy Williams, and he’ll tell you Berry has been the Tar Heels’ most consistent player. The sophomore finished second on the team in points per game, assists per game and free throw percentage. He’s a rising star in a long line of great UNC point guards.

But Gbinije is simply better right now. At 6-foot-7, Gbinije has a size and length advantage over the smaller Berry, and the fifth-year senior scored in double digits in both games against UNC this season.

SHOOTING GUARD: Marcus Paige v. Trevor Cooney

Cooney has been a thorn in the side of UNC, scoring a season-high 27 points in Syracuse’s Jan. 9 home loss to the Tar Heels and tying his season high with 28 points in the Smith Center a year ago.

But Paige is one of the most prolific point guards in North Carolina history, and the decorated senior is returning to form in this year’s tournament.

Paige has struggled mightily with his shot for much of the season. But if he heats up, the UNC guard ranks among the top players in the country.

SMALL FORWARD: Justin Jackson v. Malachi Richardson

Much like he did a season ago, Jackson has upped his production during the latter half of the 2015-16 season.

Since UNC’s 80-76 loss to Notre Dame on Feb. 6, the sophomore has scored in double figures in 14 of the Tar Heels’ past 15 games.

Richardson hasn’t been as consistent as Jackson, but he’s shown he can take over games. Against Virginia on Sunday, the first-year posted 23 points to lead Syracuse in the upset.

Richardson has the hotter hand in a matchup of two sweet-shooting wings.

POWER FORWARD: Brice Johnson v. Tyler Roberson

Johnson simply could not miss for the better part of North Carolina’s East Regional final matchup against Notre Dame.

The first-team All-American went 10-of-15 from the field, nailing elbow jumpers and jump hooks en route to a 25-point, 12-rebound performance — good for his 23rd double-double on the year, a UNC single-season record.

While Roberson has had his share of success this season, it doesn’t compare to the track record of Johnson — a finalist for the 2016 Wooden Award.

CENTER: Kennedy Meeks v. DaJuan Coleman

While Meeks was trending downward heading into the Sweet 16, he responded to criticism by scoring double digits in back-to-back games in UNC’s tilts with Indiana and Notre Dame.

Coleman — who is listed as a starter but has logged the sixth-most minutes of any Syracuse player — is the tallest member of the starting lineup, but the senior has taken a back seat to first-year Tyler Lydon at the center position.

In a matchup of big men who have had up-and-down seasons, Meeks wins out.

SIXTH MAN: Isaiah Hicks v. Tyler Lydon

Both Hicks and Lydon have played key roles during the 2015-16 season.

Hicks, who won the ACC Sixth Man of the Year award, averaged 9.2 points and 5.1 rebounds per game in conference play. But the junior has struggled during the NCAA Tournament — averaging five points in 12 minutes per game in UNC’s past two contests.

Lydon, however, has thrived in the tournament, averaging 10.8 points, six rebounds and 4.5 blocks per game.

The first-year could be the Orange’s most valuable player.

COACHING: Roy Williams v. Jim Boeheim

The two longtime friends meet in the Final Four for the second time in their storied careers — the first coming in 2003, when Boeheim’s Syracuse squad bested Williams’ Kansas team by three points in the national championship game.

But Williams has achieved more success as of late, claiming two national titles at the helm of his alma mater.

Both coaches boast championship resumes and spearhead historic programs. But in a showdown between old rivals, Williams holds the edge.

—Compiled by C Jackson Cowart and Jeremy Vernon