UNC men's basketball trails Kentucky 56-51 after first half of CBS Sports Classic in Las Vegas

Through 30 minutes of fast-paced play, the No. 7 North Carolina men's basketball team trails No. 6 Kentucky, 56-51, in the CBS Sports Classic at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Here is what to know from the first-half action.

Malik Monk thrives

The first half was the Malik Monk show, and the Tar Heels could only watch.

The first-year shooting guard led the Wildcats with 27 points on 10-of-16 shooting, pulling up at will against a reeling UNC defense. The five-star recruit was Kentucky's only 3-point threat in the opening period — going 4-for-8 from behind the line — but the Tar Heels had no answer for Monk, a likely lottery pick in the upcoming NBA Draft.

Joel Berry returns

After missing two contests with a sprained left ankle, point guard Joel Berry has kept the Tar Heels alive in the first half.

The junior's first field-goal attempt of the game was viciously swatted away by Kentucky's Wenyen Gabriel, and he scored just one bucket in nearly the first seven minutes of the game.

But Berry eventually found his stride, finishing the first half with 13 points on 6-of-9 shooting. Aided by Justin Jackson's 20 points — eight of which came at the free-throw line — the Tar Heels' top two scorers are bearing the burden of outdueling Monk's monster outing.

UNC frontcourt fouls

Unsurprisingly, frontcourt foul trouble could spell doom for the Tar Heels in the second half.

UNC's three primary post players — Kennedy Meeks, Isaiah Hicks and Tony Bradley — all have multiple fouls, with Hicks holding three to his name. The third came on a questionable contact play following a Kentucky offensive rebound, prompting UNC head coach Roy Williams to rip off his jacket in disgust and earn a technical foul.

Williams' fury was indicative of how crucial foul trouble could be for the Tar Heel front line. If the Wildcats exploit UNC's lack of frontcourt depth, they could mitigate North Carolina's biggest strength in this matchup.

@CJacksonCowart