UNC men's basketball trails Tennessee, 44-36, at the half

The No. 7 North Carolina men's basketball team trails Tennessee, 44-36, at the half. Here are some things to note from the first 20 minutes of action.

Trouble inside

UNC's offense was stagnant in the first half, and a lot of the issues the team had came from its inability to get the ball in the post. 

Tennessee is one of the smallest teams in the country, having just one player standing over 6-foot-7, but the Tar Heels couldn't take advantage. 

North Carolina's three big men, Kennedy Meeks, Isaiah Hicks and Tony Bradley, combined for 12 points on 4-of-11 shooting in the first half.

On the defensive side, the Tar Heels couldn't keep the Volunteers from making baskets inside. Tennessee racked up 20 points in the paint in the first half, and shot the ball well from pretty much everywhere on the court. 

Where's Jackson?

Justin Jackson — who tied his career high with 27 points against Davidson on Wednesday — was held to just two points in the first half. 

The junior wing played 18 minutes in the first half, but couldn't buy a basket. Jackson made seven 3-pointers in the game against the Wildcats, but went 0-for-3 from long range against the Volunteers. 

The Tar Heels are without guard Joel Berry, and have been relying on Jackson for production on the offensive end. If his struggles continue, it will be hard for UNC to make a comeback.

First-year flashes

Brandon Robinson, who came into the game averaging 3.2 points per game, tallied four in the opening half against the Volunteers. 

The first-year wing also showed off his other skills, twice slashing and dishing to a teammates for an easy bucket.

Robinson hasn't gotten as much run recently as Tony Bradley or Seventh Woods, but he was arguably North Carolina's best player in the first half.

@jbo_vernon