UNC men's basketball's game against NC State postponed until Sunday

The North Carolina men's basketball team's game against rival N.C. State, originally scheduled for 8 p.m. tonight, has been postponed until 1 p.m. on Sunday, the University announced earlier today. 

A winter storm brought snow and ice to the Triangle late Friday night, creating hazardous road conditions that could get worse late Saturday.

"Considering the travel conditions, we are not comfortable with the idea that thousands of people, from the players, coaches and officials to fans of both teams and hundreds of people that staff the Smith Center for the game, would be leaving the arena tonight after 10 p.m.," UNC Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham said in a statement.

The decision will surely be a disappointment to UNC fans but also to Theo Pinson. The junior wing was scheduled to make his first appearance of the season against the Wolfpack, but he'lll have to wait a little while longer to make his debut. 

This is the first UNC men's basketball game postponed by winter weather since February 2014. The Tar Heels were slated to face Duke on Feb. 12, but the game was pushed back eight days to Feb. 20. In the rescheduled contest, North Carolina earned a 74-66 victory thanks to a 21-point performance from then senior Leslie McDonald

Fans with tickets to the game can still use their original tickets Sunday. The doors to the Smith Center will open at 11:30 a.m.

@jbo_vernon