No. 7 North Carolina exceeds 100 points for second time in 108-58 victory on Friday

The Tar Heels moved to 4-0 after beating the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles.

Andrew Platek Leaky Black KJ Smith celebration vs Tennessee Tech
Sophomore guard Andrew Platek (3), freshman guard Leaky Black (1), and sophomore guard K.J. Smith (30) celebrate after beating Tennesee Tech 108-58 in the Dean Smith Center on Firday, Nov. 16, 2018.

No. 7 North Carolina went over 100 points for the second time in three games on Friday, moving to 4-0 on the season. In a comfortable 108-58 win over Tennessee Tech, UNC shot 41 of 74 from the field and scored 58 points in the second half.

Despite shooting 5-23 from the 3-point line, everything else seemed to be working for the Tar Heels. The team outrebounded the Golden Eagles, 54-24, and had 55 bench points.

After a few sloppy minutes to start the first half, UNC used an 8-0 run to force a Tennessee Tech timeout. Out of that break, the Golden Eagles promptly turned it over under their own basket, as the Tar Heels went into a full court press.

That sequence was an indication of more to come. North Carolina continued to trap opposing ball-handlers at half court, forcing deflections and poor shots. UNC led, 21-14, at the under-12 timeout.

Luke Maye had a productive 10 points in the first half, as the Tar Heels made a conscious effort to feed players in the post. Although the team shot poorly from 3-point range in the first half (2-12, 16.7 percent), its paint presence yielded results. UNC’s lead ballooned to 33-18 by the under-8 timeout.

With point guards Coby White and Seventh Woods both playing well, the Tar Heels went on a 17-2 run over the last 4:21. They led 50-26 at halftime, shooting 20 of 36 from the field.

Meanwhile, the Golden Eagles had three different stretches where they missed five field goals in a row during the first half. They weren’t helped by their 12 turnovers, eight of which came on steals by UNC.

Woods helped the Tar Heels remain in control in the second half, as he picked up his career-high seventh assist five minutes into the half. UNC poured in 17 points in those five minutes, allowing just four points to continue its hot stretch that carried over from the first half. North Carolina led 73-40 at the under-12 timeout.

Maye had a team-high 15 points on 6-9 shooting. He added eight rebounds and two assists. Woods broke his previous career high of six assists, set in November of 2016. He was 3-5 from the field for seven points.

Also in double figures for the Tar Heels were White, Nassir Little, Cameron Johnson, Sterling Manley and Kenny Williams. Micaiah Henry’s 20 led the Golden Eagles.

A 17-5 run to close out the first half gave UNC a 24-point lead at the break. That lead only grew in the second half, giving North Carolina a comfortable blowout win.

UNC dominated in all facets of the game. It shot 55.4 percent to Tennessee Tech’s 35.9 percent. North Carolina also had 29 fastbreak points and 55 bench points.

The Tar Heels start the season 4-0 for the third straight season. The last time the Tar Heels dropped one of their first four games was when then-No. 1 UNC was upset by Northern Iowa on Nov. 21, 2015.

North Carolina will play its third consecutive home game against St. Francis (Pa.) on Monday at 8 p.m. in the Smith Center.

@chapelfowler | @james_tatter