One person injured Wednesday in a shooting on Della Street

carrboro-elementary-false-alarm-carrboro-town-hall-commons

A false active shooter call put Carrboro Elementary on lockdown Tuesday morning. Parents had the option to have their children bused to Carrboro Town Hall, where parents could check out their kids. The police found no substance to the active shooter call. 

Carrboro police responded to a report of a gunshot wound on Della Street at 1:32 p.m. on Wednesday.

Police do not believe there is an ongoing threat to the community, Carrboro Communications Manager Rachel Heggen said in a press release. 

As of Wednesday evening, there is no suspect in custody.

According to the police report filed, a suspect forced their entry into a home on the 100 block of Della Street. The suspect was carrying a handgun and shot one of the residents of the house. If caught, the suspect would be charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, a Class C felony, along with burglary in the first degree, a Class D felony. 

The victim was transported to UNC Hospital, and officials do not believe the injuries are life-threatening. The name of the victim was not released, and as of writing there are no updates on their condition. 

Neighbors in the community said that two people have lived in the house for approximately 10 years, a mother and son. 

Several schools were placed on a “soft” lockdown following the incident, including Seawell Elementary School, Smith Middle School and Chapel Hill High School. The following message was sent out to members of the Chapel Hill High School community. 

“Good afternoon Chapel Hill High families and staff. This is principal Charles Blanchard calling with an important update. Our school was briefly on a soft lockdown due to an incident in a nearby neighborhood. The soft lockdown involved keeping all students and staff inside the school. Teaching and learning continued during the soft lockdown.  Thank you for your support!”

More in Public Safety