AUIYB: Blue Spoon is cooling things down as talk about a Chapel Hill Dame's heats up

Blue Spoon Microcreamery 

This Spring, Blue Spoon Microcreamery opened its doors on East Franklin Street. Owners Cindy and Dave Somasunderam were excited to join the bustling environment that is Chapel Hill. 

“We love college towns, everybody here is so warm and friendly,” Cindy Somasunderam said. 

Blue Spoon differentiates itself from other ice cream shops by buying its ingredients locally and offering blended coffee and ice cream specialties. 

Despite a sizeable chunk of student customer base being gone during the summer the Microcreamery has experienced steady success. 

“Business has been better than expected," Cindy Somasunderam said. 

Additionally, Blue Spoon is committed to helping local artists receive exposure. The store features locally produced art lined against their wall. 

“What more do you want than to run a business that makes people happy," Cindy Somasunderam said. 

Dame’s Chicken and Waffles

After recently reopening a location in Durham, Dame’s Chicken and Waffles has looked toward Chapel Hill for a potential expansion. Although the notion of opening a new location may be an exciting prospect to the North Carolina chain, we may not see Dame’s in Chapel Hill anytime soon. 

“We’re planning on it, but it’s not going to be anytime this year. It’s going to be like next year," Tee Caldwell, a manager of Dame’s Chicken and Waffles’ Greensboro location, said. 

The restaurant currently has a location in Durham, Cary and Greensboro. Although a fourth addition to the successful chain may be in the future, it seems as though there is a long road ahead before anything happens. 

“They haven’t picked the building, they haven’t done anything yet," Caldwell said. 

MidiCi Italian Kitchen 

Currently, MidiCi is undergoing a renovation that has the restaurant completely closed down. The Daily Tar Heel reached out to the general manager for comment, but received no response. 

Cuban Revolution Express 

After two and a half years of operation on Franklin Street, a classic Cuban restaurant and bar closed in March of this year. However, the company still operates with a location in Durham. The Daily Tar Heel reached out to the restaurant for comment, but management was not available. 

Fedora Boutique

Another location on Franklin Street recently closed, Fedora Boutique. The women’s clothing and accessory location is now up for sale. The Daily Tar Heel reached out to the realtor for the Fedora location, but received no response.