Sunday May 9th

Chapel Hill police issue warrant for suspect in SECU robbery case

<p>A suspect robbed the Elliott Road branch of the State Employee's Credit Union on July 5.&nbsp;</p>
Buy Photos

A suspect robbed the Elliott Road branch of the State Employee's Credit Union on July 5. 

On July 5 in the afternoon, the State Employee's Credit Union on Elliott Road was robbed, the second robbery that occurred at a Chapel Hill SECU location last week.

The man was unarmed and left the bank on foot after being given an undisclosed amount of cash. 

Police believed he was headed in the direction of the Whole Foods, although it is also possible that he boarded a bus somewhere between Elliott Road and East Franklin Street. 

The suspect is a black male in his early 60s, approximately 5-foot-10 and 180 pounds. He was wearing a light-colored polo and baseball cap at the time of the robbery, although police suspect he may have changed clothes following the crime. 

The incident is still under investigation by the Chapel Hill Police Department. 

Another SECU branch on Pittsboro Street was robbed in a similar fashion three days earlier on July 2. Chapel Hill police have obtained a warrant for the arrest Alvin Lennon, 61, of Durham for common law robbery.

If you know where Alvin Lennon is, or if you have information about either of these robberies, police ask you to contact Investigator Peterman at 919-968-2760 or dpeterman@townofchapelhill.org. 

You can also call Crime Stoppers at 919-942-7515. Calls to Crime Stoppers are confidential and anonymous, and the caller may be eligible for a cash reward up to $2,000 for information that leads to an arrest.

The Daily Tar Heel for April 2, 2021