Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen has re-opened following a fire that caused significant damage to the restaurant's electrical system.
The June 21 fire started as power was being restored to the area following storms from earlier in the week. Sunrise owner David Allen said it was an electrical fire.
The restaurant originally aimed to open on Friday, July 19. Restoring electricity to building took longer than expected, delaying the re-opening, according to posts on the restaurant's Facebook page.
With the restaurant being closed for over a month, Allen said Sunrise employees were eager to get back to making the biscuits that have made Sunrise a Chapel Hill staple. All employees were paid during the closure.
“They have bills to pay,” Allen said in an earlier interview. “So I promised them. I made that phone call the same day of the fire. I let them all know not to worry, that they’re getting paychecks.”
To get the day's news and headlines in your inbox each morning, sign up for our email newsletters.