Sunday August 14th

Silent Sam has been found according to UNC student radio; University cannot confirm

A large cube wrapped in a tarp behind a UNC Facilities area near Horace Williams Airport.
Buy Photos A large cube wrapped in a tarp behind a UNC Facilities area near Horace Williams Airport.

The Daily Tar Heel found what appears to be the statue and pedestal of Silent Sam.

After a report from Carolina Connection that included pictures of a figure in a black tarp and a large cube in a blue tarp, the DTH went to the pictures' apparent location at the facilities near Horace Williams Airport and found similar figures as what was reported Saturday morning.

There were UNC Police at the facility. One patrol car appeared to be guarding the fenced-in area that contained the two objects, and shortly after the DTH arrived, two more UNC Police cars showed up at the scene.

A large cube wrapped in a tarp behind a UNC Facilities area near Horace Williams Airport. The Daily Tar Heel believes the large cube wrapped in blue tarp to be Silent Sam's pedestal and the object to the left behind the green fence to be Silent Sam laying on the ground, with his base pointing upwards.

The DTH can't confirm that these objects are Silent Sam, but their size and shape resemble the statue and the base when they were taken down. According to the Carolina Connection article, UNC Director of Media Relations Joanne Peters Denny said in an email she was unable to identify what was in the photo.

A UNC Media Relations spokesperson told the DTH she didn't know why the area was being patrolled by UNC police.

Assistant City & State Editor Jamey Cross contributed reporting.

Anna Pogarcic

Anna Pogarcic is the editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying journalism and history major. 

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022