A look at UNC basketball's conference schedule for 2019-20

Garrison Brooks Virginia
UNC sophomore forward Garrison Brooks (15) dunks the ball during the Tar Heels' 69-91 loss against UVA on Monday, Feb. 11, 2019 in the Smith Center in Chapel Hill, NC. Brooks finished the night with 12 points, 8 rebounds and 1 steal for the Tar Heels.

With the ACC's release of the 2019-20 men's basketball schedule on Thursday, the Tar Heels now have a complete picture of their slate for the coming season.

Following an exhibition against Winson-Salem State, North Carolina will begin the campaign, oddly enough, on Nov. 6 at home against Notre Dame. It will be the first time UNC opens the season with a conference game since a 1966 win against Clemson.

After a road matchup with Virginia on either Friday, Dec. 6 or Saturday, Dec. 7, the Tar Heels will begin conference play in earnest with a Jan. 4 game against Georgia Tech. In fact, 2019-20 is the first season in which ACC teams will play 20 conference games, an increase that comes after seven seasons of an 18-game league schedule.

UNC will play six different ACC teams twice: Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, Virginia, N.C. State and Duke.

The Tar Heels will host four additional conferences foes – Boston College, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Miami – and visit four additional teams on the road – Florida State, Louisville, Syracuse and Virginia Tech.

North Carolina will face the Blue Devils on Saturday, Feb. 8, a notable change from the usual weekday game for the teams' first matchup of the new year.

UNC's last game of the regular season will be at Duke on March 7.

Upon the schedule's release Thursday night, it seemed the ACC had left the door open for a little chicanery, as both UNC-Duke matchups were initially listed as being broadcasted on "ESPN/2/U/ACCN." A most devious scenario would have seen the ACC broadcasting both games on the ACC Network (ACCN), forcing millions of college basketball fans to pony up for the newly-launched channel to see what are regularly the most-watched college basketball games of the regular season.

Later that night, however, the ACC seemingly backed down, as both games were then listed as being broadcasted on ESPN. All told, 19 of UNC's 20 regular-season conference games will be televised nationally by an ESPN channel, including ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or the ACC Network.

The Tar Heels' previously announced non-conference slate is highlighted by dates with Ohio State, Gonzaga, and UCLA, as well as a November trip to the Bahamas for the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament.

North Carolina will look to follow up a 2018-19 season in which the team went 29-7 and captured a share of the ACC regular season title.

@ryantwilcox