Friday January 22nd

Ongoing homicide investigation in Orange County for death of 62-year-old man

Chapel Hill Police sit stationed Franklin Street Sunday, Oct. 7, 2018.
Buy Photos Chapel Hill Police sit stationed Franklin Street Sunday, Oct. 7, 2018.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a potential homicide on the 2600 block of Coleman Loop Road. 

Officers responded to the area on Nov. 20 at approximately 11:30 a.m. after a resident found the victim lying in the yard and called 911, according to the press release.

Area residents also reported hearing the gunshots at approximately 3:25 a.m. 

“Our investigators are working diligently to determine the person or persons(s) responsible for the death of Mr. Kithcart,” Orange County Sheriff’s Office Director of Public Information Alicia Stemper said. 

According to the press release, James Otis Kithcart, 62, was found with multiple gunshot wounds. A gun was found with empty shell casings near Kithcart’s body. 

Stemper said this is the second homicide the Sheriff’s Office has investigated this year, along with two last year.

According to the press release, there are no suspects at this time.

“The investigation into Mr. Kithcart’s death is ongoing. It does not appear this was a random act,” Orange County Sheriff Charles Blackwood said. “At this time, we do not believe there is an ongoing danger to people in the surrounding areas.”

The Sheriff’s Office is offering a $5,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for this crime.

@dianeaadame

The Daily Tar Heel for December 7, 2020