Guard Jeremiah Francis to transfer from UNC basketball

20190108_Duong_PittvUNC-3.jpg
UNC first-year guard Jeremiah Francis (13) runs the ball past Pitt graduate forward Eric Hamilton (0) during a game in the Dean Smith Center on Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2020. The Tar Heels lost to the Panthers 65-73.

UNC's Jeremiah Francis will enter the NCAA transfer portal, the first-year guard told Inside Carolina on Friday.

He'll become the second Tar Heel to transfer this month, following Brandon Huffman's announced exit on April 9.

After missing his final two years of high school competition due to knee injuries, Francis made his Tar Heel debut at Virginia on Dec. 8. In the next six games he averaged more than 24 minutes and earned three starts, running the offense while fellow first-year Cole Anthony rehabbed his own knee injury.

But the return to the court, after a long hiatus, proved difficult for Francis. He sat out of a Jan. 11 game against Clemson due to soreness in his left knee and played just 70 minutes in the team's last 16 games. All told, Francis averaged 3.3 points and 1.6 assists in 13.6 minutes per game this season.

A tumultuous 2019-20 saw UNC record a 14-19 record and miss the NCAA Tournament, which was later canceled  due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

@ryantwilcox