Sunday December 5th

MLK Jr. Blvd. closed between Hillsborough and Longview streets due to gas leak

A gas leak on Wednesday has closed Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd between Longview Street & Hillsborough Street.
Buy Photos A gas leak on Wednesday has closed Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd between Longview Street & Hillsborough Street.

Update 10/27/2021, 05:25 p.m.: Chapel Hill police said the road has reopened at Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard in a tweet earlier this afternoon.

The road on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard has been closed between Longview Street and Hillsborough Street due to a gas leak, according to a tweet from Chapel Hill police.

The police said people should not drive or walk on the street until the area is cleared.

A member of the response crew, who requested to remain anonymous, told The Daily Tar Heel that there was a cut gas line and Dominion Energy, the company in charge of overseeing the gas line, has begun digging to reach it. After that, the company will cap the leak and rebuild the road so that it can be accessed again.

He advised pedestrians to avoid the area entirely until further notice, as wind is blowing gas throughout the vicinity. Chapel Hill police and fire department have not yet given an estimate time for when the leaking gas line will be capped and the road will be repaired.

This story is developing. Check back soon for updates.

Next up in City & County

Next up in The OC Report

Next up in Chapel Hill Police

Next up in Public Safety

Next up in Community members attend inaugural Chapel Hill-Carrboro Juneteenth events

Next up in Chapel Hill

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021