From races to retail, here's a look at Thanksgiving events in Chapel Hill and Carrboro

20211122_McAnulty_thanksgivingfile_01.jpg
Chapel Hill and Carrboro have a few events for Thanksgiving 2021 including Small Business Saturday and the Gallop & Gorge 8k hosted by the Cardinal Track Club.

With Thanksgiving approaching, Chapel Hill and Carrboro are preparing for annual events and schedule changes. 

Here's a look at some of the festivities and changes: 

Gallop & Gorge 8K

The Cardinal Track Club is hosting the annual Gallop & Gorge 8K, which starts on Weaver Street and loops through surrounding Carrboro neighborhoods. 

The race's debut around two decades ago saw about 200 to 300 runners in attendance. But Thursday’s race is expecting around 1,000 runners, race director Dick Forbis said.

Forbis said word of mouth has led to the race's increased popularity. He added runners return yearly — regardless of if they live in the area or are visiting family for the holiday.

“A race on Thanksgiving turns out to be a really popular time for individuals and families to get out and get a little exercise,” Forbis said. “They might live somewhere else but have family here, they come back in for Thanksgiving and they want to make sure that they were signed up to get a run in on Thanksgiving morning.”

The proceeds of the race go to six local nonprofits, and the organizers ask participants to bring cans of food to donate to the food pantry for the Inter-Faith Council for Social Service.

Gallop & Gorge is sponsored by local businesses, including Fleet Feet and Carrboro Coffee Roasters. 

Fleet Feet donates the bibs, provides packet pickup in their store and their corporate store make a large donation to community partners. 

Carrboro Coffee Roasters donates coffee for the race and makes a special blend to give to age group winners of the race. Winners also get a piece of hand made pottery crafted by local artist Janet Resnik.

Forbis attends the race yearly, often volunteering at the finish line. 

“I think the most favorite part is to see how much fun people have and especially after they’ve run the race, because then they aren’t preoccupied with 'How am I going to do?' or 'Am I in shape?' or something like that.” Forbis said. “But everybody on Thanksgiving morning has got a smile on their face because it's a holiday. 

Small Business Saturday

While small businesses in Chapel Hill and Carrboro support events such as the Gallop & Gorge race, they also are preparing for Small Business Saturday.

A nationally recognized day, Small Business Saturday, is held on the Saturday after Thanksgiving each year. The day is in between Black Friday and Cyber Monday and encourages shoppers to take advantage of local businesses and invest in their communities.

This year, the holiday will be on Nov. 27. The town councils of Chapel Hill and Carrboro recognized the holiday during their respective meetings last week. 

“I urge the residents of our community to support small businesses and merchants on Small Business Saturday and throughout the year,” Carrboro Mayor Lydia Lavelle said.

Scott Conary, owner of Carrboro Coffee Roasters and Open Eye Cafe, said they are hosting Carrboro Cheer, which will include a Carrboro gift guide that encourages local shopping on Saturday and throughout the holidays.

Tamara Lackey, co-owner of Coco Bistro & Cafe, attended Wednesday's Chapel Hill Town Council meeting to represent local businesses. She said $0.67 of every dollar spent in the community stays in the community.

“Buying local is so important because every time you make a purchase at a local business you support local jobs, and you help to preserve the local character of our community,” Lackey said.

Public service impacts

The Thanksgiving holiday will not affect residential trash collection. However, curbside recycling will not be collected on Thursday.

Chapel Hill Transit will not operate on Thanksgiving Day and will provide Sunday service (no U route) on Friday.

Parks, greenways and playgrounds will remain open.

@k8e_mack