UNC men's basketball game vs. Virginia Tech postponed due to COVID-19 protocols

UNC MEN'S BASKETBALL
Sophomore guard RJ Davis (4) scores a point at the game against Appalachian State in the Dean E. Smith Center on Dec 21, 2021. UNC won 70-50.

UPDATE 12/29/21: The Tar Heels’ game against Boston College has been moved from Jan. 1 to Jan. 2 as a result of COVID-19 protocols in the Eagles’ program. The game is still set to take place at 12 p.m. or 1 p.m.

The North Carolina men's basketball team's home matchup against Virginia Tech — which was scheduled for Wednesday — has been postponed due to COVID-19 protocols within the Hokies' program, the ACC announced on Monday.

The game was one of three the conference postponed on Monday, with the other two being Florida State at Boston College and Duke at Clemson. The Boston College and Duke programs are under COVID-19 protocols, according to the ACC.

Within the conference's original COVID-19 winter sport protocols, those games would have been considered forfeits from the teams undergoing pandemic protocols. However, on Dec. 22, the conference announced it had modified its winter sport protocols as a result of rising COVID-19 cases, allowing for games to be rescheduled.

For both men's and women's basketball, to be eligible to play, the conference stated a team must have seven game available players and one countable coach. If a team cannot meet those requirements for a postponed game, it will be considered a no-contest. If a team can meet those requirements but elects not to, then the game will be considered a forfeit.

As of now, the Tar Heels' next matchup is set for Jan. 1 on the road at Boston College, pending the Eagles' ability to play. If that matchup falls through as well, UNC will play on Jan. 5 away at Notre Dame.

@pjdaman12