Preview: Meet UNC men's basketball's "Biscuit Boys"

20220124_Wilder_BasketballVT-571.jpg
Junior guard Jackson Watkins, sophomore guard Rob Landry, junior forward Duwe Farris and sophomore guard Creighton Lebo watch UNC basketball's home game against Virginia Tech on Monday, Jan. 24, 2022, at the Dean Smith Center. UNC won 78-68.

Chances are, when you’re watching the UNC-Duke men’s basketball game on Saturday, you’ll get to see each of the teams’ most important players squaring off for supremacy — sophomore guard Caleb Love trying to score from every spot on the court, Duke star first-year Paolo Banchero trying to assert his dominance on offense and more.

But all the way at the end of the Tar Heels’ bench sits another group of players who, if the game goes a certain way, might not see any action at all. However, if UNC is able to run up the score on the Blue Devils and inch near 100 points in a win, they just may enter the game to ensure every Tar Heel fan gets what they truly want — a free Bojangles biscuit.

These are the “Biscuit Boys,” the Tar Heels that never see much game time, but have the power to ensure that fans can start the next day with a warm bready treat.

Creighton Lebo

Perhaps the most notable member of UNC’s end-of-bench crew, sophomore guard Creighton Lebo’s prominence comes in part from his last name.

The 6-foot-1 guard’s father is North Carolina assistant coach Jeff Lebo, who played for the Tar Heels from 1985 to 1989 and whose 42.8 percent career three-point percentage led UNC all-time upon his graduation. While not quite as decorated, the younger Lebo came to UNC during the 2019-20 season as a preferred walk-on from the Greenfield School in Wilson, N.C., where he helped his team to a 2019 1-A North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association (NCISAA) state championship.

Sadly, due to the depth of talent on the team, Lebo has only played six total minutes for the Tar Heels this season, not attempting a single shot.

Duwe Farris

A more physically imposing player than Lebo, 6-foot-6 junior forward Duwe Farris started his UNC career on the junior varsity team, playing under now-assistant coach Brad Frederick. Farris is the fourth generation of male Farris athletes at UNC going back to his great-grandfather, who captained the UNC basketball team in 1929.

After starting for three years at Myers Park High School in Charlotte, Farris also hasn’t found much playing time for the varsity Tar Heels, playing just seven total minutes this season. He does technically lead the Tar Heels in field goal percentage, though, hitting the only two shots he’s taken this season.

Rob Landry

A teammate of Farris’ on the 2019-20 junior varsity team, sophomore forward Rob Landry played his best high school ball at Greensboro Day School, where his team won the North Carolina Independent Schools 3-A state championship in 2017. 

While at GDS, Landry also took part in a massive 59-40 upset of IMG Academy in the DICK’s High School Nationals, one of the biggest shockers in the tournament’s history. After spending his last years of high school at the North Carolina School of Science and Math, he came to Chapel Hill, where he has since earned a scholarship to the Kenan-Flagler Business School.

Jackson Watkins

On Saturday, junior guard Jackson Watkins etched his name in "Biscuit Boy" history, scoring the final point of the Tar Heels' 100-80 win over N.C. State and blessing fans with free biscuits the next day.

Junior guard Jackson Watkins (30) successfully shoots a free throw scoring the 100th point to secure biscuits for UNC fans at the game against NC State on Jan. 29, 2022 at the Smith Center in Chapel Hill. UNC won 100-80.

The third member of this contingent to play on the 2019-20 junior varsity team, Watkins was a prep school standout in Richmond, Va., captaining the Collegiate School to a Virginia Prep league title in 2019 while also earning all-conference honors.

While Watkins has seen just two minutes on the court this season, he made the most of that time, notching one point, one steal, two rebounds, an assist and even a personal foul. Will he see time against the Blue Devils? Probably not.

But he sure as hell won the fans some biscuits.

@pjdaman12