Chapel Hill Police respond to pedestrian death on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard

A new traffic signal is being placed in Martin Luther King Jr. Drive to increase pedestrian safety. 
On Sept. 9, 2022, a person was struck by a vehicle on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard near Perkins Drive in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Update Sept. 9, 2:39 p.m.: This article has been updated to reflect additional details released by the Chapel Hill Police Department. 

Chapel Hill Police responded to a call about a person in traffic on Thursday at 9:14 p.m. on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard near Perkins Drive. 

The person, 61, was struck by a vehicle and later died at the scene, according to the Chapel Hill Police Department.

A portion of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard was closed to traffic, but was reopened around 11 p.m. that evening. Per a news release from the Town of Chapel Hill, the investigation of the situation is ongoing and no further information is currently available. 

The incident occured just hours after a garbage truck and a cyclist collided while simultaneously turning right on Cameron Avenue at 1:57 p.m. It is also the latest in a string of vehicular accidents in the town. On Aug. 28, a single-vehicle accident knocked down a light pole outside of the Target on Franklin and Church Streets, sending the driver to a UNC hospital.

The CHPD recently stated they would be working to increase pedestrian safety enforcement operations in August 2022, including additional patrols near Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard's crosswalks.

This is a developing story. Check back here for updates.  

@sam_long16

More in Public Safety