Chapel Hill Police investigate homicide, second shooting of the day

20221007_Peoples_city_assistant_chief_retires-7.jpg

A Chapel Hill police car is pictured on Oct. 7, 2022. 

Content warning: This article contains mention of gun violence and homicide.

*

*

*

Updated 1/22, 6:01 p.m.:  According to the Chapel Hill Police Department, one adult and two juveniles are now in custody in connection with the homicide that occurred at the 300 block of South Estes Drive Extension.

Investigators have charged 20-year-old Carrboro resident Sarod Folly with conspiracy to commit armed robbery, conspiracy to commit homicide and accessory after the fact to homicide. 

Folly is being held at the Orange County Detention Center without bond. North Carolina law prohibits releasing information about juveniles to the public.

The Chapel Hill Police Department is investigating a homicide that occurred at the 300 block of South Estes Drive Extension on Monday.

At approximately 10:30 p.m., Chapel Hill Police responded to a call and found the body of 27-year-old K’son Lamoriquia Thorpe, killed from an apparent gunshot wound.

According to the CHPD, investigators have not yet identified a suspect and no additional information is available at this time. The department said individuals who provide information that leads to an arrest could be eligible for a reward of up to $2,000.

The homicide at Estes Drive Extension was not the first shooting that occurred on Monday evening.  

The CHPD is also investigating a shooting that took place on Highway 54. Earlier in the evening at around 5 p.m., a driver opened fire on another vehicle. A single passenger suffered non-life-threatening injuries from the incident.

The CHPD has also not yet identified a suspect in the investigation. 

Anyone with information about one or both of the shootings should call 911 or contact the CHPD at 919-968-2760. Callers who wish to remain anonymous can call Chapel Hill-Carrboro-UNC Crimestoppers at 919-942-7515.

@emmymrtin

Emmy Martin

Emmy Martin is the 2023-24 editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as the DTH's city & state editor and summer managing editor. Emmy is a junior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and information science. 

More in Public Safety