Meet the "Biscuit Boys," the unsung heroes on UNC's bench

20221028_cox_men's-basketball-unc-vs-jcsu
UNC junior guard Creighton Lebo (25) defends the ball from his opponents during the exhibition game against JCSU at the Dean Smith Center on Friday, Oct. 28, 2022. UNC beat JCSU 101-40.

Over the years, many great players have left their marks on the storied UNC-Duke men’s basketball rivalry. 

In next Saturday’s tilt, obvious candidates to etch their names amongst the other greats of the rivalry include UNC junior guard Caleb Love, UNC senior center Armando Bacot, Duke first-year center Kyle Filipowski and Duke junior guard Jeremy Roach.

While the following group of players may not make the same impact against the Blue Devils, they nevertheless demand attention from Tar Heel fans. Meet the "Biscuit Boys."

These folk heroes of UNC hoops are tasked with one very important job — to get UNC fans 2-for-1 Bojangles sausage biscuits whenever the Tar Heels score 100 points at home. While the Biscuit Boys won't get that opportunity in this matchup at Cameron Indoor Stadium, they will be undoubtedly be drawing eyes on Saturday with their over-the-top bench celebrations.

Jackson Watkins

Senior guard Watkins has scored just four points during his time with the Tar Heels, but each one of those points were critical to pushing UNC over the century mark.

Last season, his one free throw in a 100-80 victory against N.C. State gave UNC fans their coveted biscuit deal and firmly put his name amongst the “Biscuit Boy” greats. Earlier this season against the Citadel, he did it again with a last-second 3-pointer in a 100-67 victory.

Watkins is one of three players in the current “Biscuit Boy” lineup who made the team after playing a season of junior varsity basketball. While he likely won’t see the floor against the Blue Devils, he's shown he can make plays when it counts.

Creighton Lebo

As a 6-foot-1-inch junior guard, Lebo is the leading scorer among the current “Biscuit Boys,” with eight career points. He had extensive postseason experience in high school, as he took Greenfield, Coby White’s alma mater, to the North Carolina Independent Schools 1-A state championship game in 2019. 

Lebo’s name may be more recognizable thanks to his father, Jeff Lebo, a veteran coach who played shooting guard for the Tar Heels from 1985 to 1989 and currently serves as an assistant under Hubert Davis.

Beau Maye

Junior big man Beau Maye is another current “Biscuit Boy” from a family with a rich history in UNC athletics. His younger brother, Drake Maye, is a standout quarterback on the football team, while his older brother Luke played a critical role on UNC basketball’s 2017 national championship team. Patriarch Mark Maye was a starting quarterback for UNC in 1986 and 1987.

Beau Maye has yet to score in his first season on the team, but he made his first career appearance with the Tar Heels earlier in the season in a victory against the Citadel.

Duwe Farris

Farris worked his way onto the Tar Heels’ roster his sophomore season after playing on the JV team in his first year. As a 6-foot-7-inch, 210-pound forward, Farris provides some size to an otherwise small “Biscuit Boys” lineup. 

He’s also the latest in a long line of Farris family members who’ve played for the Tar Heels, as his great-grandfather, grandfather and father all played sports at UNC.

Rob Landry

Similarly to Farris, Landry also worked his way onto the Tar Heels’ roster after playing for the JV team as a first-year. Landry had a decorated high school basketball career at Greensboro Day and led the Bengals to the North Carolina Independent Schools 3-A state championship in 2017.