Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Five-star point guard Elliot Cadeau announces reclassification, will join men's basketball team for 2023-24 season

02042023_Lewis_DUKEMBB-25.jpg
UNC Head Coach Hubert Davis shouts during the men's basketball game against Duke on Feb. 4, 2023 at Cameron Indoor Stadium. UNC lost 63-57.

On Tuesday, UNC men’s basketball commit Elliot Cadeau — the ninth-ranked player nationally and No. 1 point guard in the class of 2024, per the 247Sports Composite — announced on Twitter that he will be reclassing and joining the 2023-24 UNC men’s basketball team.

Rumors around Cadeau’s reclassification picked up following his performances in the Nike EYBL, in which he averaged 9.3 assists — over three higher than anyone else on the circuit.

The Oradell, N.J., native is a versatile point guard most known for his playmaking ability and court vision. On top of his ability to find the open man, Cadeau can also score the basketball.

On April 1, Cadeau led Link Academy to a national title win over AZ Compass Prep, 73-55. In the quarterfinal, Cadeau had 14 assists — setting a single-game record. 

Cadeau joins four star recruits Zayden High and Simeon Wilcher in North Carolina’s incoming class, as well as transfers Harrison Ingram, Cormac Ryan, Jae’Lyn Withers and Paxson Wojcik.

@mdmaynard74