NCDOT proposes redesign of exit 270, mayor and community members express concerns

061523 UNC Health-2.jpg
UNC Health's Eastowne campus could be affected by increased traffic from the Express Design concept for project U-6067. Part of the campus is pictured on June 15, 2023.

In a letter sent to Michael Fox, the chairman of the N.C. Department of Transportation, on June 7, Chapel Hill Mayor Pam Hemminger expressed strong opposition to the Express Design concept for project U-6067 — a proposed redesign of Interstate 40’s exit 270 interchange. 

The project proposes converting U.S. 15-501 into a freeway from the I-40 interchange to Garrett Road in Durham.

It also suggests converting the I-40 interchange to a diverging diamond to improve safety and operations of users and suggests the addition of pedestrian facilities on the bridge across I-40. 

Hemminger said in her email that the project does not align with reducing car dependency and more multimodal travel options. She also expressed discontent with the expedited timeline of the project. 

She said that the increased traffic near UNC Health’s Eastowne medical campus could have an impact on access to healthcare and emergency services. 

Aaron Moody, the assistant director of communications for NCDOT’s Highways and Division 5, said in an email statement that the project was initially introduced in 2018 due to concerns over congestion along U.S. 15-501, the interchange ramps and along I-40. 

In his email, he said the project is at an intermediate step in development as it moves through the prioritization process. He said the current express design is intended to update the project scope and estimate costs. 

Moody also said that the current express design should not be considered the final design for construction and that the project is currently funded for preliminary engineering with no scheduled construction activities. 

“There's a lot of opportunity, but I think it could also be a missed opportunity and we’re just gonna get bigger, more road and not anything else, and that’s obviously not what anyone wants,”  Javiera Caballero, an at-large Durham city council member, said. 

Geoffrey Green, a city planner and Chapel Hill resident, said it is necessary to make roadways efficient, but it also needs to be possible for people to travel by bike, foot or bus. 

He said from the perspective of a cyclist and pedestrian, he is most concerned about the safety of bike-ped paths next to the interstate.

“NCDOT expects that people who are biking or walking will feel comfortable just crossing on an interstate on-ramp and off-ramp where there's no traffic signal,” he said. 

Molly De Marco, a founding board member of NEXT Chapel Hill-Carrboro, said the project will not help reduce the use of cars in the community.

In a June 6 press release, NEXT Chapel Hill-Carrboro said the redesign does not incorporate the 2020 conceptual design for dedicated bus transit facilities on U.S. 15-501 created by the NCDOT, the Durham-Chapel Hill Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization (DCHCMPO), the Town of Chapel Hill, the City of Durham and transit agencies in the area. 

“We need to really focus on alternate ways of getting around and this redesign doesn’t take that into account at all,” De Marco said. 

She also said the project goes against the NCDOT Complete Streets Policy, which requires the department to consider and incorporate several modes of transportation when building new projects. 

Caballero said that in the past, the NCDOT has focused on building big roads across the state. She said the DCHCMPO does not want to take this approach.

“Currently, I have not seen the commitments that I need to see around this idea of a complete streets policy that NCDOT adopted and that obviously we — Durham — and everyone within this MPO — all the jurisdictions — are committed to,” she said. 

@ZoeWerner356

More in Chapel Hill