Leaky Black, Pete Nance in NBA contracts after going undrafted

20221028_cox_men's-basketball-unc-vs-jcsu
UNC graduate forward Leaky Black (1) dribbles the ball during the exhibition game against JCSU at the Dean Smith Center on Friday, Oct. 28, 2022. UNC beat JCSU 101-40.

Following the conclusion of the NBA Draft, which saw former UNC basketball players Leaky Black and Pete Nance go undrafted, both have signed NBA contracts.

Black inked a two-way deal with the Charlotte Hornets — just a short drive from Concord, N.C., where Black grew up. A two-way contract allows Black to play for both the Hornets and their G League affiliate, the Greensboro Swarm.

While at Carolina, Black was a defensive standout and one of the best defenders in the country during his senior year. During UNC’s game against Alabama in November of the 2022-23 season, Black held Brandon Miller — one of the best players in the country and eventual No. 2 overall draft pick by the Hornets — to just 14 points on 4-21 shooting and 2-8 from beyond the arc.

Black’s size and defensive ability have landed him on a roster that needs just that. The Hornets ranked 20th in defense last season and missed the playoffs.

Nance — who transferred to UNC last season — signed an Exhibit 10 contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers. This one-year minimum salary contract allows the Cavs to convert the contract into a two-way deal, but only if done prior to the start of the NBA season.

In his lone year with the Tar Heels, Nance averaged 10 points, six rebounds and 1.7 assists per game. Nance is an experienced player with plenty of size, but will have to play his way into a two-way contract with the Cavs, which will largely be dictated by his performance in the NBA Summer League. 

Both Nance’s father and brother played for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

@mdmaynard74