Gov. Roy Cooper issues state of emergency for Hurricane Idalia

us-news-wea-ian-nc-emergency-get

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper speaks at a campaign event on Sunday, May 17, 2022.

Photo courtesy of Sean Rayford/Getty Images/TNS.

Gov. Roy Cooper issued a state of emergency Tuesday to activate state emergency services for the incoming Hurricane Idalia, which is currently located off the west of Florida.

Idalia is expected to drop heavy rains and cause flash and river flooding on Wednesday and Thursday, especially across the southeastern part of the state.

“We are continuing to monitor Idalia’s course and its potential impacts on our state and it’s critical to make sure we are fully prepared,” Cooper said in a news release. “It is important for North Carolinians to gather emergency kits and prepare for the storm before it’s too late. We also want to make sure our farmers are able to protect their crops.”

North Carolina Emergency Management Director Will Ray said in the Tuesday release that emergency services will be in contact with local jurisdictions to stage resources where they are needed.

@ethanehorton1

Ethan E. Horton

Ethan E. Horton is the 2023-24 city & state editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a city & state assistant editor and as the 2023 summer managing editor. Ethan is a senior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and political science, with a minor in history.