Town currently accepting applications for 14 advisory boards with vacancies

plumly- city-advisory-boards-applications-open-4.jpg

Chapel Hill Town Hall stands tall on Sunday, March 19, 2023.

The Town of Chapel Hill is currently accepting applications for community members to join advisory boards. The Town has 20 advisory boards, 14 of which currently have vacancies.

According to the Town's website, advisory board members advocate for the community, provide feedback to the town council and assist in the planning and monitoring of programs and services. No experience is necessary and appointed advisory board members meet once or twice per month and hold three-year terms. 

Deputy Town Clerk Amy Harvey said advisory boards make recommendations to the town council on policy areas that board members have expertise or interest in. She said members can dive deeper into local issues and help the council make decisions.

“It’s important that folks are able to share their experiences, represent their town and get involved in the decision-making processes,” Harvey said.

The Board of Adjustment is one of the 14 boards with vacancies to fill.

“The Board of Adjustment plays a really important role in administering the Town's land use management ordinance and in acting as kind of an appellate body for decisions made by Town staff and other boards,” Tas Lagoo, the staff liaison to the Board of Adjustment, said.

Lagoo said the board plays a major part in the checks and balances in municipal government decisions.

“Serving on the Board of Adjustment is a really important civic duty,” he said. "It plays such a critical role in the Town's process."

He also said being on the board is a great way to learn about Town processes for people interested in a career in planning or law.

Bruce Boehm is the chair of the Orange Water and Sewer Authority Board of Directors, another board that is currently accepting applications. OWASA supplies reclaimed water and sewer services to Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

He said board members give back to the community they live in, learn about how a utility operates and hopefully have an impact on the future of water supply and sewer services in the community.

“We look for folks who may have some expertise in some of the areas that OWASA is involved with, we look for diverse candidates, and then look for folks who can work together," he said.

Josh Mayo, a transportation planner for the Town, said the Transportation and Connectivity Advisory Board is looking for applicants who demonstrate interest and have unique perspectives.

Mayo said the board is there to help work on ongoing Town projects and advise on transportation policy and issues like pedestrian safety. Mayo said a benefit of being on the board is being well-informed about what is going on locally. 

It’s something that draws members into the community of the town, not just their neighborhood, he said.

“We often want to make sure that we are hearing the community, and this is a good way to have folks really help us,” he said. “I think it's easier to talk about things with folks who have been doing it for an hour or two every month, who may have some more background.”

More in Chapel Hill