The Daily Tar Heel
Printing news. Raising hell. Since 1893.
Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

We keep you informed.

Help us keep going. Donate Today.
The Daily Tar Heel

Student charged with felony in Carrboro High School bomb threat, Carrboro PD says

image002.jpg
Carrboro High School's entrance sign is pictured on Friday, Jan. 7, 2022.

Updated Nov. 30 at 12:35 p.m.: Following an investigation into a bomb threat at Carrboro High School on Wednesday, the Carrboro Police Department has arrested and charged a Carrboro High student with making a false report concerning a destructive device.

The charge is a Class H felony, which carries a maximum penalty of 39 months in prison. Since the charged individual is younger than 18 years old, no additional identifying information will be released.


Updated Nov. 29 at 2:20 p.m.: The Carrboro Police Department said it has fully checked and cleared Carrboro High School and found no credible threat of a bomb.

Carrboro High students who parked at the school are now able to return to their cars, staff are able to return to the building and after-school activities will still be allowed to take place, the district said. Carrboro High will also be open on Thursday as normal.

An investigation into the bomb threat is ongoing. CPD is asking anyone with information is asked to call Lt. Trey Kennedy at (919) 918-7412, Crime Stoppers at (919) 942-7515 or the CHCCS tipline at (844) 572-9669.


Carrboro High School was evacuated this morning after an emailed bomb threat that mentioned the school was sent to the district office. All students and staff are safe.

It was unclear who sent the bomb threat, and no details on what the message said were immediately available.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools sent an email to district families just after 10:15 a.m. Wednesday that said the school was being evacuated to the athletic fields to the south of the school. The district said the evacuation was a precaution taken to ensure the safety of those in the school.

At 10:55, the district said it would be dismissing Carrboro High students early. The message said students were boarding buses to be taken to nearby Culbreth Middle School for pickup in the carpool lane. Culbreth Middle will be continuing with its school day as normal.

The district has also asked parents to avoid going to Carrboro High to pick up their students.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

@ethanehorton1

@DTHCityState | city@dailytarheel.com

To get the day's news and headlines in your inbox each morning, sign up for our email newsletters.


Ethan E. Horton

Ethan E. Horton is the 2023-24 city & state editor at The Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as a city & state assistant editor and as the 2023 summer managing editor. Ethan is a senior pursuing a double major in journalism and media and political science, with a minor in history.

Special Print Edition
The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition


More in Education

More in City & County

More in The OC Report


More in City & State

More in Public Safety