Word on the Street: What's the best thing that's happened to you this semester and why?

20231111_Thiessen_Football-5.jpg
UNC students rush the field of Kenan Memorial Stadium after UNC beat Duke 47-45 in 2OT on Sat. Nov. 11, 2023.

Over the past few months, students have experienced a semester that was far from normal. UNC had a fatal shooting in August, a second gun-related lockdown in September and has seen a number of protests on campus regarding the Israel-Gaza war since October. 

But students have persevered and made positive memories during a hard semester. In the hope of shedding light on these moments, staff writer Celia Funderburk asked students: “What's the best thing that's happened to you this semester and why?"

Adit Karki, first-year computer science major

“I think the best thing that happened to me at UNC was rushing to the field against Duke for the football game. I think it was an unreal experience as a first-time fan.”

Mikayla Warguez, first-year environmental science major

“The best thing that's happened to me is definitely joining the Filipino club because it's just nice to cook Filipino food, learn our traditional dances and get in touch with my culture.”

Lillian Harbison, sophomore advertising and public relations major

“The work-study job I picked. I got a job with The Carolina Covenant on the student advisory council and it's been a great way to find community and a sense of purpose and giving back by helping.”

Olivia Stoltz, senior human development and family science and Spanish double major

“My favorite part of the semester was when my friend from studying abroad – we both studied abroad in Spain – came down to North Carolina to visit. She's from Michigan and she goes to Grand Valley University — she’s from Grand Rapids. And I took her to the North Carolina State Fair. Then we went to Raleigh and we went to the beach and I took her to my hometown, which is Gardner, North Carolina.”

Matteus Butler, first-year business major

“I would say when I was in the student section and we beat Duke in overtime at the UNC football game and rushed the field. It was just a great time.”

Iman Amadou, sophomore medical anthropology major

“The best thing that happened to me all semester was I joined a really cool organization for DJing [WXYC]. And they have a lot of cool events, so that was really fun."

Taylor Robertson, first-year nursing major

“I guess just starting out a new school year and meeting my roommates and stuff. I made a lot of friends.”

Ifeoma Obioha, first-year statistics and information science double major

“I would say going to the Renaissance fair with my friends. For the most part, we walked around, we were able to pet some animals and see a couple of shows."

Kaylee Barnette, first-year pre-business major

“Meeting my roommate and my suitemates. It's been the best thing because they've really become my family and we're all living together next year, and I'm really excited.” 

Khushi Amin, sophomore business and economics double major

“The best thing that happened to me was going to the state fair with my friends. We rode a really fun ride that we were scared about, but it ended up being awesome and we spent quality time together.”

Michelle Seucan, sophomore economics and English double major

“My econ professor dressed up as Barbie from the Barbie movie and she had a whole box — she was wearing a whole Barbie box.”

@FunderburkCelia

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com