UNC men's basketball, Chapel Hill community mourn the loss of Eric Montross

20220129_McGinnis_Montross-1.jpg

Former professional basketball player and UNC basketball star Eric Montross sits at the broadcasters table before the UNC men's basketball game against N.C. State on Jan. 29, 2022.

Former UNC basketball player and NBA veteran Eric Montross died on Sunday at 52, the University announced Monday. Montross was diagnosed with and began treatment for cancer in March, causing him to step away from his duties as UNC's radio analyst.

Montross played for the Tar Heels from 1990-94 under former head coach Dean Smith. He earned many accolades in college, including first-team All-ACC, NCAA East Region and Final Four all-tournament honors in 1993, and was named a member of the John Wooden All-America team as a senior. Montross, the starting center for the 1993 NCAA championship team, was also a two-time AP second-team All-American.

He is most known for his hard-fought performances like the "Bloody Montross" game against Duke on February 5, 1992, in which the center sustained multiple cuts to the head, exited the game to get stitches and later returned to finish with a double-double and three blocks.

After his time at UNC, Montross was a first-round draft pick by the Boston Celtics. He played eight NBA seasons and, after retiring, served as an analyst for the Tar Heel Sports Network and worked at the Rams Club.

eric montross rilvary .jpg
Eric Montross played at North Carolina from 1990-94, capturing a national championship in 1993 and helping the Tar Heels upset Duke in the famous "bloody Montross" game. DTH File.

The UNC community expressed profound sadness following the news, emphasizing the former North Carolina big man's impact beyond basketball and highlighting his faith, family and ambassadorship.

UNC Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz expressed his condolences on X, writing that Montross was "an incredible friend, a passionate leader and an inspiring advocate for our campus."

Gov. Roy Cooper wrote on X that he was "so very sad to hear of the loss of Eric Montross whose contributions to the UNC community and our state went far beyond his championship basketball skills."

10306_0126_readathon_keyf.jpg

Eric Montross, former UNC basketball player and NBA player, reads to children at Read-a-thon Night at Frank Porter Graham Elementary School on Wednesday, January 25, 2012.

In a statement released on Monday, Carolina Athletics said it was "profoundly saddened and stunned by the loss of Eric Montross, one of our most beloved former student-athletes, at far too young an age." Carolina Athletics described Montross as a "great player and accomplished student" as well as a "man of faith, a tremendous father, husband and son" whose impacts on the Chapel Hill community went "way beyond the basketball court."

Montross was notably an ardent supporter of the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center since his time in college. He was known throughout the Chapel Hill area for his charitable efforts, such as helping launch the Eric Montross Father's Day Basketball Camp, a father-child basketball camp held on Father’s Day weekend to support the UNC Children’s Hospital. North Carolina Attorney General Josh Stein shared on X that Montross would regularly visit young people in the cancer hospital and recently served on the board of the Be Loud Sophie foundation, an organization that works with UNC Lineberger Center to support adolescent and young adult cancer patients and their families at UNC hospitals.

Eric Montross overlooks a free throw competition at the Eric Montross Father's Day Basketball Camp.

"We extend our deepest condolences to Laura [Montross], his children and entire family, and his colleagues and friends," Carolina Athletics said. "The number of people who loved Eric and were touched by him is immeasurable."

@shelbymswanson

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com

Shelby Swanson

Shelby Swanson is the 2023-24 sports editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as an assistant sports editor and senior writer. Shelby is a junior pursuing a double major in media and journalism and Hispanic literatures and cultures.