No. 4 UNC men's hoops outlasts Boston College on the road, 76-66

20240117_Robinson_MBB-vs-Louisville-128-2.jpg
UNC senior guard RJ Davis (4) dribbles the ball during the men’s basketball game against Louisville on Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2024, at the Dean Smith Center. UNC defeated Louisville 86-70.

Withstanding a physical test on the road, No. 4 North Carolina (15-3, 7-0 ACC) outlasted Boston College (11-7, 2-5 ACC to win 76-66 on Saturday afternoon in the Conte Forum.

UNC remained perfect throughout conference play and added its eighth straight win of the season. Senior guard RJ Davis led the way, scoring 16 points, while recording six rebounds and four assists.

The Tar Heels got off to a slow start on the road, trailing 9-5 by the arrival of the first TV timeout. It was Boston College forward Devin McGlockton, who got the Eagles out in front early by backing down Davis in the post and scoring on two separate trips.  

Yet, early bench points kept North Carolina in the game when graduate forward Jae’Lyn Withers knocked down a jumper and mirrored sophomore guard Seth Trimble for a pair of threes to help a sputtering UNC offense.

The Tar Heels continued their thread of recent defensive efficiency in the first half. Their defense suppressed the Eagles to a nearly four-minute scoring drought and ultimately held Boston College to 35.7 percent shooting in the first half — 25 percent from three. 

Despite the low shooting percentages, the Eagles stuck around. Aided by nine North Carolina turnovers, the UNC offense appeared sloppy throughout the first 20 minutes.  

Taking creative liberty on a broken play inside the final minute of the half, junior forward Harrison Ingram splashed a nifty fadeaway to give the Tar Heels the lead. On the ensuing possession, first-year guard Elliot Cadeau spotted junior forward James Okonkwo for a last-second alley-oop to close out the first period.

At the break, North Carolina led 34-31 with Davis scoring 11 points. Graduate center Armando Bacot did not attempt a field goal in the first half, as he continuously passed out of the double team Boston College brought. 

Bacot wasted little time in the second half, however, as the big man notched a 3-point-play to tally his first basket on UNC’s second possession. Around the 13-minute mark, a driving Davis elevated towards the rim and drew two defenders. Mid-flight, he swung the ball down and dished it to Withers for an easy jam.

A second and-1 for the Tar Heels gave them a six-point lead after the under-12 timeout.

While the clock wound down in the second half, the foul calls began to amount. The period saw 27 fouls leading to 33 free throws – where UNC finished 14-15 down the stretch.

From the nail, Bacot’s jumper halted a potential Eagle run with four minutes remaining. He continued to heat up just a few trips later, when Bacot jammed his second and-1 to push the Tar Heels eight points ahead.

A running floater by Trimble in the closing minutes extended UNC’s lead to double digits and iced the game for the Tar Heels.

North Carolina will return home to the Dean E. Smith Center for its next matchup against Wake Forest on Monday night. Tip-off is at 7 p.m.

@cadeshoemaker23

@dthsports l sports@dailytarheel.com