Four UNC women's lacrosse players sidelined for 2023-24 season

20220527_connors_wlax-semifinal-northwestern-2226.jpg
Freshman defender Brooklyn Walker-Welch (45) cradles the ball up the field during UNC's NCAA Tournament semifinal match against Northwestern at Homewood Field in Baltimore, M.D. on May 27, 2022. UNC won 15-14.

Four UNC women’s lacrosse players will be sidelined for the 2024 season after suffering season-ending injuries, according to Inside Lacrosse. 

Junior defender Brooklyn Walker-Welch, sophomore attacker Marissa White and first-year attacker Chloe Humphrey will join sophomore midfielder Kaleigh Harden, who also suffered an injury in the fall.

As the No. 1 prospect in the 2023 class and the USA Today National Player of the Year, Humphrey entered her first year at North Carolina as a highly-touted recruit likely to make a huge impact offensively. 

Walker-Welch and White also planned to build on previously successful seasons with the Tar Heels. Walker-Welch is one of the best defenders in the nation, ranking No. 6 in Inside Lacrosse's list of the Top 50 women's players. As the cornerstone of UNC’s defense, Walker-Welch helped to hold opponents to an ACC-best 8.4 goals per game last season.

After a successful first season with the Tar Heels, White found herself also featured in the top-50, slotting in at No. 42. The attacker boasted 46 goals during her first season with the Tar Heels, making her the leading goal-scorer on the team during the 2023 season. 

UNC’s season will begin on Saturday against No. 6 James Madison. With the Tar Heels ranked at No. 3, they will be down four players in their first top-10 matchup of the season.

@_emmahmoon