'It’s just crazy': Armando Bacot tearily reminisces on his five years at UNC after senior night win

20240305_Skvoretz_UNC-MBBALL-Notre-Dame-255.jpg
UNC graduate student forward/center Armando Bacot (5) walks off the court with a roaring crowd after subbing out during the men’s basketball game against Notre Dame in the Dean E. Smith Center on Tuesday, March 5, 2024. UNC won 84-51.

All Tuesday, Armando Bacot could only think about the game.

It may have been his last time running out of the tunnel in the Dean E. Smith Center and hearing PA announcer Tony Gilliam say his name as a member of the starting five. Despite that, he said he didn’t feel sad. Even his mom, Christie Lomax, said he remained composed before the game.

“I would say that his emotions were still,” Lomax said. “He had made his peace with this being the last home game.”

But as Bacot sat down after an 84-51 win over Notre Dame on senior night, and began to reflect on his five-year career at UNC, it finally hit him.

“It’s just crazy to think like,” Armando Bacot said, taking a moment to collect his emotions. “Just this being my last game here and how far I've come. I didn't know I was going to start crying.”

In Bacot’s farewell at the Smith Center on Tuesday, the all-time leading rebounder in UNC history collected five boards and scored 14 points. It wasn't his best night — he fell five rebounds shy of a double-double. But by playing in his 162nd game, he broke the all-time ACC record for games played and he treated the UNC faithful to something that he had never done before.

The night slowed for Bacot in the first half. He said his legs felt weak and he felt weird on the court knowing it was his last home game. He could only muster up three points and three rebounds, including an uncharacteristic missed dunk with nine minutes to go in the first half.

Coming out of the break, though, the graduate became a sharpshooter. Three minutes into the second half, Bacot pulled up from the left wing and splashed home the fourth 3-pointer of his career. 

He set a goal to hit one three before the game, but he wasn’t satisfied. With less than four minutes to go and UNC up 35, Bacot knew he was coming out of the game soon. He turned to senior guard RJ Davis and told him to pass him the ball. His teammate listened, and Bacot converted his second three of the game from the left wing, making it the first multi-three game of his career. The shot was his final basket at the Smith Center.

"We were laughing a little bit because he mentioned he was going to shoot it," graduate guard Cormac Ryan said. "And nobody thought he was serious. But he did and it was cash."

Diehl_UNC_MBBALL_Notre-Dame_Selects-12.JPG
UNC graduate student guard Cormac Ryan (3) celebrates after UNC graduate student forward Armando Bacot (5) scores during the men’s basketball game against Notre Dame at the Dean E. Smith Center on Tuesday March 5, 2024. UNC won 84-51.

So is the long ball in Bacot’s bag?

“It is in his bag at the right time,” North Carolina head coach Hubert Davis said. “Now when is the right time? Maybe never.”

The game was a full circle moment for Bacot.

Five years ago, back in November 2019, Bacot took Roy Williams Court for the first time as a Tar Heel. The opponent in that game? Notre Dame. While he amounted seven points and eight rebounds of his own, he watched on as guard Cole Anthony dropped 34 points including 6 shots from behind the arc. 

On Saturday, he said he channeled his inner Anthony.

“I'm going to shoot him a text after the game,” Bacot said. “I know he probably is watching. He'll be proud of me for docking those threes.”

Lomax sat and watched all of this from her usual seat behind the UNC bench. Earlier in the day, she posted on X a picture of her and her son. It was taken when Bacot visited the Smith Center for the first time. The five-star recruit had recently committed to UNC. Lomax remembers being overwhelmed by the support Bacot received from the crowd.

On Saturday, as Bacot walked off the floor with three minutes left in the game, and embraced Hubert Davis, he was greeted to a standing ovation. He was able to remain composed.

20240305_Skvoretz_UNC-MBBALL-Notre-Dame-262.jpg
UNC graduate student forward/center Armando Bacot (5) embraces head coach Hubert Davis during the men’s basketball game against Notre Dame in the Dean E. Smith Center on Tuesday, March 5, 2024. UNC won 84-51.

But not for much longer.

“I’m just so thankful to get this extra year,” Bacot said postgame, rubbing tears from his eyes. “It's all over now, but we got so much more to play for this year and that's the most encouraging part of this.”

@brendan_lunga18

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com