Unranked N.C. State upsets No. 4 UNC men's basketball for first ACC title since 1987

Diehl_ACC_HalfTime_selects-1.JPG
UNC first year guard Elliot Cadeau (2) attempts to block a shot during the men’s basketball ACC tournament championship game against N.C. State at Capital One Arena on Saturday, March 16, 2024.

WASHINGTON — DJ Burns Jr. and DJ Horne combined for 49 points to help the unranked N.C. State men’s basketball team (22-14, 9-11 ACC) upset No. 4 UNC (27-7, 17-3 ACC) in the ACC tournament championship, 84-76, at Capital One Arena on Saturday night. This is the Wolfpack's first ACC title win since 1987.

“[We] got to the championship game and came up short,” senior guard RJ Davis, who scored a game-high 30 points, said. “We didn't play our best basketball today. I know that was one of our goals going into the season, but we just came up short.”

To double, or not to double? That was the question for UNC in the early minutes as Burns Jr. went to work over Armando Bacot. A double team freed up N.C. State’s Michael O’Connell and Horne for triples, a one-on-one matchup allowed Burns Jr. a hook-shot jumper in the paint and the Wolfpack led by 10 points after six minutes of play.

Enter Davis, the ACC Player of the Year, who soon knocked down a triple. Then, after some back-and-forth play, a layup. Then a 3-pointer, a stare down of Kevin Keatts and the N.C. State bench, and another 3-pointer from the other side of the court.

“RJ always has great performances,” sophomore guard Seth Trimble said. “He's always carrying our belt in a way.”

Suddenly, the contest was tied at 28-28. New life. New game.

The Tar Heels stayed neck and neck throughout the rest of the period, with Cormac Ryan hitting a 3-pointer to give UNC a one-point advantage heading into halftime.

But N.C. State reestablished its lead through the first six minutes of the second half, with Horne and Burns Jr. doing most of the damage.

“I thought that we would have the most energy because they played five games in five days,” junior forward Harrison Ingram said. “They weren't even warming up and you know, they came out and they hit us in the mouth.”

Pretty soon after the two Wolfpack players reached a combined 35 points, Horne picked up his fourth foul — sending him to the bench.

Horne would later return and sink a 3-pointer only to have RJ Davis answer with a triple of his own. After an Elliot Cadeau steal, Davis drove in for a floater to make the score 61-58. UNC was hanging on by a thread, thankful to only be down three points with the help of its star senior guard.

North Carolina pulled out a full-court press. Mohamed Diarra answered with a layup and Horne earned an and-one to put the Wolfpack up by eight points — tying their largest lead of the half. N.C. State soon extended that lead to its largest of the game at 11 after another Horne 3-pointer.

“From a defensive standpoint, we weren't able to guard them one-on-one, whether it was on the post [or] isolations out on the wing,” head coach Hubert Davis said. “[We] didn't play the type of defense that you have to have in order to win games like this.”

UNC continued to apply the pressure and create chances — a Davis steal and layup here, a set play for the senior guard there — but to no avail. Even multiple trips to the line for UNC's best free throw shooter in program history couldn't get it done.

The Tar Heels now await Selection Sunday to find out their placement in the NCAA tournament. 

“I'll probably take [the loss] in today, take it in tomorrow,” Ingram said. “Then the next day, next week, back to work.”

@shelbymswanson

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com 

Shelby Swanson

Shelby Swanson is the 2023-24 sports editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as an assistant sports editor and senior writer. Shelby is a junior pursuing a double major in media and journalism and Hispanic literatures and cultures.