Sunday, June 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC men's basketball lands Vanderbilt forward Ven-Allen Lubin in the transfer portal

IMG_7497.jpeg

UNC head coach Hubert Davis talks to the team during a timeout at the men’s ACC tournament quarterfinal game against Florida State at Capital One Arena on Thursday, March 14, 2024. UNC won 92-67.

Former Vanderbilt forward Ven-Allen Lubin has committed to UNC, he announced via social media on Thursday. 

With the caption "Let's get it Tar Heel Nation," Lubin will look to have an immediate impact on North Carolina's roster. 

After taking his official visit over a week ago, the 6-foot-8 sophomore decided to don Carolina Blue during the 2024-25 season. In the absence of center Armando Bacot and forward Harrison Ingram — who declared for the NBA draft — Lubin will play an integral role in reestablishing North Carolina's frontcourt. 

Last season, Lubin averaged 12.3 points and 6.3 rebounds while shooting 50 percent from the field. In his last two games as a Commodore, the forward secured consecutive double-doubles.

Against Florida, Lubin amassed 25 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in the process. In the last game of the season against Arkansas, Lubin contributed 21 points and 10 rebounds. 

Lubin is the second player on the 2024-25 squad to come out of the transfer portal. The sophomore will join former-Belmont sharpshooter Cade Tyson.

In the frontcourt, Lubin will also join senior Jae'Lyn Withers and sophomore Jalen Washington

Head coach Hubert Davis and his staff still have two scholarships remaining.