DTH at a Glance

If you play Humans vs. Zombies, don't read this.

This week marks the beginning of two things: Humans vs. Zombies and horrid flashbacks from playing Humans vs. Zombies as a first-year. I remember the first stupid night I showed up to play that stupid game. I came packing my NERF bow and arrows, which someone promptly told me I "couldn't use" because I'd "hurt people." I let him know I wouldn't be hurting people; I'd be hurting zombies. I still wasn't allowed to use it.

And for that I will always hold a grudge against HVZ. Their chant of, "What do we want? Brains," and, "When do we want it? Brains," will forever haunt my memories. I want that two hours of my freshman year back.

Just like I want my fall break back. And because I'm only arguably present and conscious right now, I'm going to be easing all of us back into this week with this newsletter. Enjoy the last remnant of your vacation, friends.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Protestors demonstrated against Durham's monument for Confederate soldiers last week, mirroring the controversy around UNC's Silent Sam.
  • Carrboro's construction of the Shelton Station housing units is underway on North Greensboro Street, and it unfortunately doesn't involve the razing of my house I rent there, despite many prayers to the contrary.
  • UNC's Board of Governors called a short-notice emergency meeting on Friday, leading some to (once again) question the transparency in the UNC-system president search.
  • UNC field hockey ~sticked~ it to Dook and Virginia Commonwealth over break, pushing the Tar Heels to a nine-game winning streak.

IN "LARPING"

A pretend zombie apocalypse will play out at UNC this week. Having to come back from a four-day trip to New York City to wake up for 9 a.m. classes for another six weeks has me feeling more or less the same way a viral apocalypse would, so that's fitting.

IN MUSICAL NEWS

The Bell Tower isn't completely automated, apparently. A special senior, probably chosen in a clandestine ceremony in the ruins of Hill Hall, plays music live via a 14-key electronic keyboard. Like any wedding DJ you've ever encountered, the master bell ringer is open to taking special requests and even more open to respectfully refusing to ever play said requests.

IN CUTE, HELPFUL ANIMAL NEWS

UNC lets students keep animals (usually dogs) that help with mental health. They're called comfort animals, and with documentation from a mental health specialist, they can be allowed in on-campus housing. They're not technically service animals, and they're not technically pets — but they're cute as heck occupying that awkward little middle ground.

IN THE BLOGS

We're once again here to give you advice on how to dress for Oct. 31. A good number of people hate puns. Pretty much everyone hates politics. So why not combine them and make 100 percent of people hate you for Halloween? Thus, the birth of "Gnarly" Fiona and Ted "Cruise."