DTH at a Glance

If you're reading this, I'm still screaming about being in the Final Four

Nobody I have met in the past six years would believe me if I told them this, but there was a time when I was the top player at a Greensboro basketball camp. (My parents still have a plastic trophy somewhere for any of you who need the receipts.)

I had a future ahead of me. I was basically Nathan from "One Tree Hill." And then middle school started, and I stopped playing and spiraled into an allergy to physical exertion. Because 10 years old is the cutoff for playing coed, and that meant 1) I had to start playing shirts vs. skins, and it'd be another three years before I hit puberty and lost 20 pounds, and 2) I no longer had any friends on my team because all my friends were girls.

I think my past life in Oak Ridge Elementary School's D1 is why, deep down, I occasionally let myself care about Carolina basketball. It's also why I'm 100 percent here for our opinion desk's piece about gender and sports today.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• There are five billion people without internet access globally, and UNC professor Cliff Missen's "WiderNet Project" is gunning to fix that.
  • Despite a sweep by Florida State this weekend, UNC softball coach Donna Papa still sees the silver lining in the wake of a tough season.
  • Two weeks ago, Gov. Pat McCrory dissolved a commission tasked with independent review of Duke Energy’s coal ash clean-up process.
  • North Carolina's passage of House Bill 2 stops UNC from allowing students to use the bathrooms that correspond to their gender identity, instead focusing on the gender they were assigned at birth.

IN THE FINAL FOUR

North Carolina men's basketball is heading to the Final Four this weekend. The Tar Heels secured a 88-74 win over Notre Dame last night; Angry Brice is back. What more could we want.

IN PUPPIES

In a break from heavy news lately, meet rescued Lab mix puppy Ollie Goldberg. His mom, UNC senior Anne Goldberg, said she adopted him in February, and his interests include cheese, peanut butter and Netflix. Like most college students.

IN TOWN NEWS

Hillsborough orchestrated a 1,000-egg Easter egg hunt for dogs on Saturday. The event was the brainchild of the town's K-9 police unit, which described the job of a K-9 cop as a daily Easter egg hunt. Except instead of candy, they find, like, cocaine.

IN OUR OPINION

It's time to bring women into professional baseball. Women have been participating in America's pastime as long as it's been around. Maybe it's time we send our daughters to baseball camp instead of softball.