DTH at a Glance

Tyler Oakley is the store brand DTH community manager

Last night marked the ninth annual celebration of Holi at UNC, a Hindu holiday to welcome the arrival of spring — think Groundhog Day, except actually worth anybody's time.

I don't know how to accurately portray it for someone who's never experienced it. There's no way to describe the feeling after everyone throws their color packets at once and you can't breathe for four seconds because you're asphyxiated by a cloud of purple dust. Or what it's like to throw handfuls of that dust in strangers' faces.

Or what it's like to be blond and have your hair stained ginger for three weeks after your first Holi. Or stained lavender and look like Tyler Oakley the year after. Or to purposely avoid going to this year's for the sake of your roots.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• An adaptation of “Sweeney Todd" is getting ready to make a killing for PlayMakers Repertory Company.
  • UNC's School of Social Work is opening a research center to provide aid for mental health, education HIV and other issues in countries with limited resources.
  • In addition to rolling back LGBT protections, House Bill 2 is restricting towns' abilities to set local minimum wage requirements.
  • Sixteen members of the Board of Governors donated $827,449 to political campaigns from 2007 to 2014, including to politicians who appointed them.

IN CELEBRATIONS

Four student organizations helped ring in springtime by dowsing one another in colored powder. It was UNC's ninth annual celebration of the Hindu holiday Holi, and 2,500 students participated this year. Check out our photo gallery here.

IN HOUSE BILL 2 UPDATES

Nearly 90 companies have come out to stand their ground against House Bill 2. Facebook, Twitter, Apple, Google and Airbnb have joined in on signing a letter penned with the Human Rights Campaign and Equality N.C. They're planning to deliver the letter this morning.

IN WASHINGTON

There's a lot of sass surrounding the highest court in the land, and for once it's not coming from RBG. A real excerpt from a super real dialogue from the nation's capital:

President Barack Obama: Hey I have a Supreme Court nominee

Senator (to the senate): lol do u hear something bc I don't

IN NORTH CAROLINA

Duke Energy is harnessing pig crap for methane energy. Other fun facts from this roller coaster of a story: North Carolina is home to 8.5 million hogs, and honestly their crap turns waste pools a really pleasing shade of pink.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide