DTH at a Glance

What's your most anti-climactic gift memory?

For my 10th birthday, my parents got me this balloon, UFO-kite thing that I saw on TV and really wanted. To paint a picture, it was something that likely cost more than it was worth and definitely came from a Game Show Network infomercial.

But I was 10, and it was cool as heck. I ran it outside with some of my friends, threw it as far as I could into the sky, and watched as it careened directly into the branch of a Bradford pear. It tore up and deflated instantly. Its lifespan was approximately eight minutes.

Which is probably why Carrboro's annual Kite Fly has decreased in attendance in recent years — because as a generation, we know that kites suck.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• North Carolina has enough transgender teenagers to fill three quarters of the Smith Center, and they're feeling the psychological effects of moves like House Bill 2.
  • Carrboro held its annual Kite Fly for the community at Hank Anderson Park — an event that's started to see a stark drop-off in popularity in recent years.
  • If you're confused about the Republican National Convention's Donald Trump drama and what all it means, political science professor Susan Roberts' got you covered.
  • Sunday's 6-1 win over the Blue Devils marked the first time since 2012 that the UNC men's tennis team claimed a victory in Duke territory.

IN TRANSIT NEWS

For $40 million, Chapel Hill is upgrading as many as 53 of its buses to be more efficient and to run on diesel. Forty-two of which are past their prime — and by that I mean over 14 years old.

IN CANCER RESEARCH

Two UNC professors were appointed to the Cancer Moonshot 2020 panel. President Barack Obama unveiled the initiative during his State of the Union address, and with the help of Deborah Mayer and Barbara Rimer, the country is hoping to reduce cancer prevalence by the turn of the decade.

IN OUR OPINION

As the year comes to a close, Paige Ladisic has to grapple with hanging up her editor-in-chief hat for the last time. With 134 papers under her belt and only seven more left, she reflects on what working for The Daily Tar Heel really means. RT working with "people you love and also want to kick in the face."

IN DOG NEWS

Meet Gracie, a golden retriever who has more volunteer experience than I had for National Honor Society. Gracie and her mom, senior Winnie Wang, volunteer with elementary school students, partake in canine cancer research and donate blood to other dogs in need.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide