DTH at a Glance

Davis Library is the UL's hot friend

Today, we asked the truly hard-hitting questions: Why do some Republicans stand against House Bill 2? What effect does Title IX have on transgender students? Why is the Undergraduate Library at UNC so MFing ugly?

To get the bottom of the latter, we went to a professional architect and just kind of asked. He said there's definitely no building on campus less attractive than the UL, but he admires the library's strength, proportions and wonderful personality/sense of humor.

I think we've all been the UL before.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• A UNC student was robbed around 1 a.m. on Wednesday, marking the second armed robbery in less than a week.
  • Local architect Stephen Clipp said the UL isn't "ugly"; it's just somewhere between two styles called "brutalist" and "bureaucratic." Much different than ugly.
  • Since coming to UNC, the Edible Campus initiative has put in about 700 high-functioning plants across nine gardens on campus.
  • An appeals court in the Fourth Circuit just ruled that Title IX applies to transgender students' use of bathrooms that correspond to their gender identity.

IN RELIGION

UNC might've started as nondenominational Protestant, but today it's host to religions from all over the world. Whether they're Muslim, Sikh, Hindu, Jewish, Protestant or Catholic, UNC students keep strong in their faith, community and identity.

IN HB2 UPDATES

Certain conservative groups are speaking out against House Bill 2. The Log Cabin Republicans and the American Unity Fund view the law through the lens of being a government overstep and violation of privacy for LGBT North Carolinians.

IN STUDENT LIFE

Tee off for the most important UNC sporting event of the year is tonight at 10 p.m. Senior Bar Golf for 2016 is here, and this year's holes include Carolina Coffee Shop, Country Fried Duck, Goodfellows, La Residence, The Library, R&R Grill, The Strowd, ToPo, He’s Not Here and Linda’s.

IN TOWN NEWS

Carrboro might be entertaining the idea of a town name change. Turns out the people Carrboro attracts aren't really on the same page with its namesake, open white supremacist Julian Shakespeare Carr.