DTH at a Glance

If you thought past newsletters were embarrassing and oversharing, just wait.

The longest I've ever been in Durham was when I was visiting my friend for her 20th birthday. We went to a bougie restaurant and ate paella. We played a drinking game that involved throwing money into beer mugs until you missed, which is literally the most Duke thing I could've not made up. And then we rallied and went to Shooters.

I was in Shooters for about half an hour. Then I wandered over to the side of the dance floor where the bouncers were, hesitated for a moment and then puked paella and beer into a trash can to the immediate right of a bouncer.

With a hand on my back, he sort of forcefully escorted me out a side door. As the door was closing, I was so sick that I turned around, looked him dead in the eye and said, "Thank you."

On an unrelated note, non-Duke students are banned from Shooters on Wednesday nights for the rest of the school year. Go figure.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Broadway composer Stephen Schwartz has forbidden any of his works, including "Wicked" and "Godspell," from being performed in North Carolina in opposition to House Bill 2.
  • Being an admissions ambassador, dating Marcus Paige, leading the UNC dance team — senior Taylor Hartzog is truly having it all.
  • In what critics are calling an attempted distraction from House Bill 2, Gov. Pat McCrory has proposed raising the average teacher salary in the state to more than $50,000.
  • Our anonymous complainers are especially salty on the Kvetching Board this week, and I just really think they deserve a shoutout.

IN STUDENT LIFE

UNC senior Joseph Han is unofficially the coolest person alive. He's pushed through supporting himself at age 18, worked on the set of “X-Men: Days of Future Past" and has curled Blake Lively's hair. He recommends "trying everything you can" in life.

IN HIV RESEARCH

The HIV Cure Center could be ready to bring in a patient this week for its first study. The center, created in May 2015, is working on reversing stage two of the HIV infection. The director said they hope to start two new projects by the end of this year.

IN BAR DRAMA

Shooters Saloon in Durham has officially banned non-Duke students for the rest of the academic year. Owner Kim Cates says the measure is to honor the graduating seniors at Duke and isn't necessarily a punishment to other schools. She also said UNC students are welcome on off-days.

IN TOWN NEWS

The Orange County Board of Commissioners wants the General Assembly to (Chris Crocker voice) leave municipal governments alone. And to also make sure people aren't pretending to be livestock farmers to get zoning exemptions and federal benefits.