DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Happy birthday, mom

Good morning, and HAPPY 25TH BIRTHDAY, MOM.

While she is likely having the best day, the rest of us are struggling. I have been to exactly seven class periods in 2017. I've lost four Twitter followers. The U.S. political world as we know it is melting. The oldest gorilla known to science AND Vine died this week. Spring 2017 is on track to be the semesterly equivalent of M. Night Shyamalan producing a biographical documentary on the life of Maggie Smith.

But, according to today's "How is your spring semester going to go?" quiz from Swerve, this semester is going to be the best one yet.

We'll revisit that assertion in the April newsletter.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Today in news that made me gasp when I read it, Chapel Hill Public Library is now experimenting with hosting pop-up coffee shops.
  • Given North Carolina's military presence and off-shore drilling potential, President-elect Donald Trump's economic plans could have distinct implications for the state.
  • Ten professors from the UNC Law School are among the 1,424 faculty members who have signed a letter opposing the nomination of Sen. Jeff Sessions for U.S. Attorney General.
  • Lotsa Stone Fired Pizza, a national chain and also coincidentally my Italian drag alter ego, is moving into Jasmin's location on West Franklin Street. For those of you who don't know what Jasmin is, it's the thing that moved into Qdoba's location on West Franklin Street.

IN DAILY CRIME

Moment of silence for the person who made the police blotter for stealing "four Valentine’s candies" from a Rite Aid. Honorable mention to the person who was caught drinking an alcoholic beverage valued at $2 on a public sidewalk at 9 in the morning.

IN LGBTQ NEWS

A UNC senior is turning to GoFundMe to help pay tuition after she was cut off by her parents for coming out. The page has raised more than $3,200 of her $8,000 goal, and she said she's thankful for the help and chance to finally embrace her identity.

IN PETTY NEWS

The former M&M cookies served in Lenoir might be gone for good. Since they were replaced by cookies with smaller chocolate pieces, UNC students everywhere have been taking to social media to voice their grievances. Because our campus is nothing if not politically active on important issues.

IN TOWN NEWS

The Orange County Living Wage initiative just locked down its 100th employer. The group raised Orange County's living wage level to $13.15 an hour this year, or $11.65 an hour for employers providing health insurance.

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

Escape from your everyday routine by taking on a challenge at "Bull City Escape." Lock yourself in a room with one to seven loved ones/co-workers and see if you've got the cooperation and problem-solving ability to make your way out of an interactive puzzle.